Todays Cache!

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Cache!

I've been reading this board for three nights straight and the rain broke for awhile today so I went to an old cellar hole I know of.
I ran my detector around the edge an WHAM!
I get a hit.
I dig and dig and at about 2 feet I hit metal!
It's big!
It's some kind of large pail or can on it's side!
It's so big I can't really dig it with my gardening trowel so I punch a hole in it's side with the trowel.
It's too deep to see into but it's hollow and things are rattling in there!
I run home and get a full size garden shovel and go back to really dig it up.
My heart is starting to pound!
I pull it up!
It's full of ....................
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

'
TRASH!
Sometimes You bite the bear and sometimes the bear bites You!

Attachments

• cache1.jpg
    cache1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,438

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Today's Cache!

maverick4440,
I feel your pain, buddy... I was duped out on my first test run with my new detector in a friend's backyard... except mine was filled with a freakin' plastic juice container and ROCKS!!! It took me a good hour right at dusk to dig down into that dirt/clay/rock mix to get it out. Some kid had a pretty cruel sense of humor!!!! :-[

Bran <><

Attachments

• DSCF3107.JPG
    DSCF3107.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,411
  • DSCF3113.JPG
    DSCF3113.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,392
  • DSCF3112.JPG
    DSCF3112.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,394
  • DSCF3114.JPG
    DSCF3114.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,370

tonytygr

Apr 26, 2007
birmingham al
Detector(s) used
whites 6000d coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I live in an old stone farmhouse that was built in 1957. One day I decided to check the old tractor shed, I wasn't really looking for buried treasure, just thought somebody might have dropped a coin or two over the years. I got a strong signal and started to dig.
My heart just about stopped when I uncovered a large plastic bag filled with........nails. The fun truly is in the hunt.

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007

But wasn't that anticipation while you were digging really cool?! I know it would be much better if it paid off...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't get me wrong, my friend... I have blisters for WEEKS on my hands!! lol I thought it was great to get such a strong signal, regardless. It was fun times... but I know if I be patient and keep at it, my time will come.... :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
maverick4440

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wallyblackburn said:
But wasn't that anticipation while you were digging really cool?! I know it would be much better if it paid off...

That in a nutshell is why I detect.
I realized something after I got that bucket out of the ground.
For a few minutes while digging I had flashbacks to the last three nights on this message board.

Visions of hundreds of large cents rolling down hillsides and thousands of gold coins dug up by little kids in a basement somewhere back east, Jesse James outlaw treasures, buckets full of double eagles.

I was already having visions of lying on the beach in Costa Rica with scantily clad servant girls bringing me umbrella drinks.
My heart was pounding and for a few minutes I was rich!

I think that is why I enjoy metal detecting and treasure hunting so much.
Even the single solid coin hit, For at least a minute you don't know what you have.
It could be just another clad OR it could be that rare Gold coin that there are only 2 other examples of and they are owned by the Smithsonian and the Ford foundation and for just a few seconds you are rich.

It's that little thrill for those few seconds or minutes of not knowing what You have found.
It could be junk or it could be your entire future.
If I ever lose that thrill and it becomes boring I will quit.

I started detecting in 1973 with a whites non discriminating detector.
I'm not sure but I think it was called a "Buccaneer" Then I got a little Bobcat backpacker TR discriminator.
That's 34 years ago and I still get a thrill out of it.
Many detectors and 1000's of coins later I still haven't found a gold coin yet.
Lot's of silver and some gold rings though. That gold coin will pop up some day. (or that bucket of gold coins)

I have had some dry spells for a year or two at a time where life got in the way of detecting but I always come back to it eventually.
The rain all week this week kept me inside and reading this message board.
I hadn't really dusted off my detector this year or put new batteries in it until I got to reading all these posts and got fired up about it again.

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.

Hey it happens. I guess that's the way some people would get rid of trash back in the day, so you are probably bound to find more of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread