Todays Digs

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Digs

Nothing grand in today's collection, maybe a couple of pieces of silver, one silver ring for sure, but these beach conditions have left me completely stumped. Yesterday we hunted above the waterline to the dune area, pretty much the same results. Today the ocean turned really flat so I was able to get behind the breakers clear out to chest deep with no problems. Same results. There are a lot of targets, though more hit-or-miss out in the water with some areas lacking much at all while others were consistent. But it's really been strange, "loads of crusty and colored coins" but jewelry, even junk jewelry, is really lacking as are pull tabs, sunglasses, and the the other usual light items. On the other hand, heavy items such as fishing sinkers, etc., are also absent. But if you like hunting when there are a lot of targets Sandy sure has provided that situation!

Attachments

• digs.jpg
    digs.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a lot of targets - Gold is right around the bend! Congrats!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Crusty and colored suggests dated material,while i don,t water hunt i blame low jewelry finds on dry land on too many tatoos as bling!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck next hunt!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Indialantic yesterday and hunted the wet sand for five hours. Only got 17 coins, most were green and red, and 3 pieces of junk jewelery. I dug 10 or 12 can tops and most were from small cans, like 8 ounce. I got in one area where I dug a heavy junk bracelet, two four ounce pyramid sinkers and lots of coins. I said "This is it, the gold is here". I worked that area hard but no gold. I wish I had went back to Cocoa, but Im new to East coast wet sand hunting and I wanted to try a different beach. When I was leaving I saw a guy reel in an 18 inch flounder from the surf. I uesd his camera to take a picture of him holding the fish. He said he was throwing it back and I asked him if I could have it and he said sure. Made my day and I think my wife was happier to see that fish than she would have been seeing gold. Good luck out there.

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly the same conditions here! yes, light items have been removed and crusty coins are within reach but the gold/sinkers are just out of reach or were covered back up within the last few days. best erosion and possibilities for gold are probably higher up than most might expect , near the towel line or even above, or in a hole if you can find one. but what do i know i cant find squat.:BangHead:

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just speaking from my experiance FRESH water hunting Lakes, I have had many a time when all I would get is Modern coins. If I managed to find a spot that was a little deeper, then a nice ring or two would come out.
I think your gold is just a little deeper and that sucks because of all the high hopes after Sandy. Well the good news is that it is still in place for next time.
I know fresh water is much different but it reminds me of the same as what you guys are going through.
Good luck,
GG

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Indialantic yesterday and huted the wet sand for five hours. Only got 17 coins, most were green and red, and 3 pieces of junk jewelery. I dug 10 or 12 can tops and most were from small cans, like 8 ounce. I got in one area where I dug a heavy junk bracelet, two four ounce pyramid sinkers and lots of coins. I said "This is it, the gold is here". I worked that area hard but no gold. I wish I had went back to Cocoa, but Im new to East coast wet sand hunting and I wanted to try a different beach. When I was leaving I saw a guy reel in an 18 inch flounder from the surf. I uesd his camera to take a picture of him holding the fish. He said he was throwing it back and I asked him if I could have it and he said sure. Made my day and I think my wife was happier to see that fish than she would have been seeing gold. Good luck out there.

I think the east coast fishing is going to be really good for a while yet. A lot of fish swimming south along the shore this time of year. At high tide you'll see the schools of mullet in the troughs heading south and the game fish will be right in there with them....like a traveling food source. Take light tackle, a swivel about 12 - 16 inches above the hook, very little weight - if any at all, and drift a live mullet or shrimp on a tight line between the water line and the first bar. Sometimes the fishing can be fast and furious and you never know what you're going to real in next. A lot of nice flounder, pompano. Spanish Mackeral, Redfish, you just never know.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly the same conditions here! yes, light items have been removed and crusty coins are within reach but the gold/sinkers are just out of reach or were covered back up within the last few days. best erosion and possibilities for gold are probably higher up than most might expect , near the towel line or even above, or in a hole if you can find one. but what do i know i cant find squat.:BangHead:

From what I could tell after the water hunt yesterday, I think all of the upper sand ended up being dragged into the troughs. A lot of soft areas out there that are void of targets.....but if you can find some hard sand there were a few laying here and there. Upper half of the beach is where most of the action is and it seems to get better as you keep moving up.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the east coast fishing is going to be really good for a while yet. A lot of fish swimming south along the shore this time of year. At high tide you'll see the schools of mullet in the troughs heading south and the game fish will be right in there with them....like a traveling food source. Take light tackle, a swivel about 12 - 16 inches above the hook, very little weight - if any at all, and drift a live mullet or shrimp on a tight line between the water line and the first bar. Sometimes the fishing can be fast and furious and you never know what you're going to real in next. A lot of nice flounder, pompano. Spanish Mackeral, Redfish, you just never know.
There was a steady flow of finger mullet heading south the whole time I was there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions