Todays find- another worn colonial copper- experts please help

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to know what coin this is so bad. Its the second smooth colonial Ive found in a month and I think this one has a few subtle details that may be able to be picked out. I got permission this weekend at a dream spot for me and I am nearly positive that this is an early to mid 1700s copper. I guess the coin could even be earlier. I dont have calipers with me but it is roughly 1.125" or 2.9mm wide and n more than .15 mm thick.

I going to wait until we get some rain before i go back and have been wanting to buy a large NEL coil and piranha shovel for a while
Thanks for your help

image-2866614731.jpg

image-4267187605.jpg

Upvote 2

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to burst your bubble but most of the large colonial and pre 1800 coppers you will find will be toasty or very worn or both. Hopefully you'll be able to get some details to at least identify it. Good luck and no matter what large coppers are always fun to find. Good job.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My large cents I have been finding have been pretty much 50/50. I can usually tell what type of coin it is but on the toasted ones I never get a date. I have been pretty fortunate to find some really good early examples with dates. Anything in a cornfield though is up for grabs. I can tell they are largies but no dates. The ones I find in the grass and pasture though are in fairly good condition. Better than good grade.

Keep looking!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your measurements seem a little odd. I assume you mean 29 MM and not 2.9. Need to see a little more detail to make a guess. Maybe a few more pics after you get some of the dirt off of it?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would clean it up real good,get it wet and hold it up to a light at different angles and see if you can make out a bust, maybe at least figure out what type it is.Sometimes natural light works better.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its going to be difficult to ID your coin based solely on its size. The diameters of early coppers from the late 1600s W&Ms through the half pennies of George I, II, and III, and all the way through the US large cents ranged between 27-29mm, and yours could fit many of those varieties. In your first pic there appears to be a bust, but I can't tell which direction it's facing. So unless you can pull a few more details off I doubt you'll be able to solve this mystery.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just in our position a month ago so I feel your pain. I (IMHO) think you do not have a KG3. Maybe prior. I believe the face is not flat enough for a KG3, so perhaps a coin from William to KG2 (1693-1770ish)

-Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread