Todays find werent much, still learning...

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today's find weren't much, still learning...

So I went out today for a few hours near an old home site. Found random stuff. Mainly I am just learning the settings on my new AT Pro and what the different tones sound like, how to discriminate iron, etc. I didn't know what the red heart was but found an old thread on here that explained it. I also thought the rat poison bottle was an interesting find. I found one Ball lid with intact porcelain seal that I managed not to break with my shovel. A Bac-a-Belt buckle from the 50's, an old Remington Nitro shotgun shell, 8 pull tabs, part of an aluminum percolator, and what I think is a handle that is copper. I didn't find any coins, unfortunately, but it was a good, hard 6 hour day and I learned a lot. Hoping to go to an old park tomorrow with my husband. Maybe I can at least find some clad, or something better!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Upvote 12

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a fun day. Keep digging the pull tabs, that is where the gold hides! If you get a chance, check out Grommy lommy, on you tube he has a video showing the vdi readings for gold that he has found with the atpro. It is amazing the range that gold covers. That guy is the ring findingest dirt digger you will ever see. Good luck!

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the information! I will check out those YouTube vids you recommended, as well. I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did last year an average of 4 hours over 128 days, so if you can do a 6 hour day & still enjoy it, your not only in the right hobby, you will do very well eventually. Keep at it!

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds - might consider putting in a coin & trash garden in your back yard for practice purpose. Coins - pull tabs - square tabs & old junk jewelry at various depths - anyway thanks for sharing your pictures of your finds and I wish you many great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on getting out and enjoying the hobby. That is really what matters. Finding things is exciting but relaxing and getting away from the world is the greatest

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what part of KY you're in, but would be happy to help you guys out. I'm not too far from Louisville. Your digs look pretty much like what we all dig at first, though, they'll get better, but you will always dig junk.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO,, MODE,, PRO-ZERO
51-52, NICKEL
81-83, PENNY
83-85, DIME
86-87, QUARTER
Congrats on getting out,, like the bottles

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A great hunt is not always about coins.
Enjoy the firsts and the learning journey with the detector(s) and keep it fun..
The rat poison bottle is quite an interesting find.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I agree, ScubaD. I love the escape I get with my metal detector. The time just gets away from me. My hand and wrist are a little sore from the six hours of digging, haha. May have overdone it just a tad bit. By the time I was done I could barely unscrew my water thermos.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Crusader. Did another 3 hour hunt today with my husband. Great idea Texas Ed. Husband said the same thing so I will do that to practice. Against the Wind and releventchair, thanks, I love finding bottles and thought the rat poison was cool and unique!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your finds - might consider putting in a coin & trash garden in your back yard for practice purpose. Coins - pull tabs - square tabs & old junk jewelry at various depths - anyway thanks for sharing your pictures of your finds and I wish you many great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

...And don't have everything laying flat. Many items in the ground will be standing on edge or at some various angle.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crusader. Did another 3 hour hunt today with my husband. Great idea Texas Ed. Husband said the same thing so I will do that to practice. Against the Wind and releventchair, thanks, I love finding bottles and thought the rat poison was cool and unique!

It's not uncommon for someone learning a machine to get an outstanding find. Because they haven't got into the bad habit of 'cherry picking' or VDI Number digging. An example would be those ring pulls could have been gold rings.
Although Texas Ed idea is great for learning the sounds (more important) with VDI combinations (Never take the word of your detector). In the long run its much better to clear as much trash as you can tolerate. The most important factor is location,location,location. Do your research & improve your odds. However, it does no harm to detect wherever your allow, your get a few surprises.
Looking at what you dug, there is no reason you shouldn't have found a coin unless;
They were deeper than your machines abilities - unlikely, unless older coins or back fill on the site - Try after rain to increase your odds
Someone has already cherry picked them all - maybe
There was never any there - unlikely should have been the odd clad
You missed them - Take chance out off the equation & grid the area systematically, like you would mower a lawn. This is one of the most important tips that many never use.
So, what would be interesting is to return to that site after a wet day & grid from the opposite direction & see what turns up, but more importantly is to get a great site. When that happens you will want to clear every signal - eventually.

PS. Because Time is your biggest enemy don't over simplify what I'm saying by digging everything everywhere. I had a field that was a bed of nails 6-10 iron nails a swing, if I dug those, I wouldn't have time to get the sweet hammered silver coin I found. So although we eventually clear all the iron off our better sites, the first time we do it we leave a few of those signals. So, you have to vary your style to the location. One reason Dad & I do so well is because our extraction rate (beep/dig/pouch) is 30 seconds or less. Easier in ploughed land. But you might want to keep speed down until your pinpointing is second to none.(Incase you damage your best find, its nearly always your best!)

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll find that your 6 hour investment of time will skyrocket once you start finding the good stuff. The fever will take ahold of you!

I hit a virgin boy scout camp (with permission) in Ohio back in the early 80's. One event was 22 straight silver dimes. That was a 12 hour day digging :) I only stopped then because the sun had set and I was going to be back the next day! I wasn't tired at all, the excitement of good finds overcomes all fatigue.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
...And don't have everything laying flat. Many items in the ground will be standing on edge or at some various angle.

One of my experiences was that large coins laying in the ground at an angle would cast the signal out further in the direction the coin was tilted. Be aware of that. That's why, in addition to the pin pointer, a probe comes in handy in trying to pin down the actual location. It helps when there aren't a lot of rocks in the soil.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are putting six hours into a hunt, then you are already hooked! Welcome to the hobby. Regardless of the machine brand and model, the more you use it the more you learn - and the better your finds. Best of luck! (That helps too :thumbsup:)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how we start you will learn you AT PRO VDI numbers are good to go by in trashy areas but I have found gold and silver in pop top range ya never know!!!! Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread