Today's Finds 3-26-2024

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I only have the 11" coils for the Manticore and the Deus 2, I decided to run over to the 1860's farm after work today and swing with the Legend and the 6" coil. I think it went well. I found some items I had previously missed.

The nice shiny spoon is newer made in China. The bullet is another 30-06. 2 Zinclon pennies and a clad Nickel. The other spoon is older, but I don't think more than maybe 30-40 years. Not sure what the other item is.

P1001340_WM.jpg

More trash, but some decent low tones.

P1001341_WM.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Upvote 18

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
The cylindrical item looks like a balance weight, from the days when balances were mechanical. The indented ring would be where forceps were used to take it off and on the balance pan. A lot of them had numbers on them, usually on their bottoms, to indicate their weight in grams or grains.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cylindrical item looks like a balance weight, from the days when balances were mechanical. The indented ring would be where forceps were used to take it off and on the balance pan. A lot of them had numbers on them, usually on their bottoms, to indicate their weight in grams or grains.
Have you ever seen the weights in aluminum? It's pretty light. I've seen them in brass, in fact I have a set at work to check my scales. That is the first thing that came to mind when I dug it though, the aluminum threw me off.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should note, the upper most penny is not a zinclon. It's a 1968, although pretty chewed up by something. Worked on getting a date off the nickel, it's pretty green and corroded. Looks like 1974.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spoon may be older than I thought.

PICT0018.jpg

Found on Silver and Silverplate blogspot.com

William Rogers Mfg. Co.
Hartford Connecticut
1865 - 1898
William Rogers
William Rogers Jr.
Thomas Birch
1898 merged into International Silver Company
Marks continued use in International Silver Company
Became a division of International Silver Company

Marks:
Anchor Rogers
(Anchor) Rogers (Anchor)
1846 (Anchor) Rogers (Anchor) AA
1865 Wm Rogers Mfg. Co.
Wm Rogers & Son
R.C. Co.
Rogers Nickel Silver
(Anchor) W. R. & S.
Rogers Cutlery Co.
Wm. Rogers Mfg. Co. Hartford Conn.
Rogers Brand Silver Plated Ware
Cunningham Silver Plate (for Ocean Spray cranberry sauce premium)
(anchor) Rogers (anchor) XII

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I only have the 11" coils for the Manticore and the Deus 2, I decided to run over to the 1860's farm after work today and swing with the Legend and the 6" coil. I think it went well. I found some items I had previously missed.

The nice shiny spoon is newer made in China. The bullet is another 30-06. 2 Zinclon pennies and a clad Nickel. The other spoon is older, but I don't think more than maybe 30-40 years. Not sure what the other item is.

View attachment 2139586

View attachment 2139587

Thanks for looking...
Sir, the small item in your first pic looks like a weight to calibrate a scale...

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice work Congratulations

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spoon may be older than I thought.

View attachment 2139590

Found on Silver and Silverplate blogspot.com

William Rogers Mfg. Co.
Hartford Connecticut
1865 - 1898
William Rogers
William Rogers Jr.
Thomas Birch
1898 merged into International Silver Company
Marks continued use in International Silver Company
Became a division of International Silver Company

Marks:
Anchor Rogers
(Anchor) Rogers (Anchor)
1846 (Anchor) Rogers (Anchor) AA
1865 Wm Rogers Mfg. Co.
Wm Rogers & Son
R.C. Co.
Rogers Nickel Silver
(Anchor) W. R. & S.
Rogers Cutlery Co.
Wm. Rogers Mfg. Co. Hartford Conn.
Rogers Brand Silver Plated Ware
Cunningham Silver Plate (for Ocean Spray cranberry sauce premium)
(anchor) Rogers (anchor) XII
Cool, good eye!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes that could happen very easily..
Good luck out there
I really think that the ammo that has been in the earth for years/decades is beyond the dangerous stage.

Look at any primer and what it takes for the firing pin to activate the primer.
In digging a shell up and actually striking the primer dead on with a shovel, or any other digging device is pretty slim.

Maybe I'm just a careless thinking guy that really doesn't know the dangers of bullets. :dontknow:
Though from taking many apart, throwing many into a wood stove (younger days) hitting the primer with a hammer and nail (post tempting the gunpowder).
I usually can dig one up every bush hunt, throw it into the pouch along with horse shoes and axe heads and never think of my safety.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the 6" coils work great where the 11" struggles. Should always be part of a detectors kit.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think that the ammo that has been in the earth for years/decades is beyond the dangerous stage.

Look at any primer and what it takes for the firing pin to activate the primer.
In digging a shell up and actually striking the primer dead on with a shovel, or any other digging device is pretty slim.

Maybe I'm just a careless thinking guy that really doesn't know the dangers of bullets. :dontknow:
Though from taking many apart, throwing many into a wood stove (younger days) hitting the primer with a hammer and nail (post tempting the gunpowder).
I usually can dig one up every bush hunt, throw it into the pouch along with horse shoes and axe heads and never think of my safety.
Pepper
Great reply

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2139586

View attachment 2139587

Thanks for looking...
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread