Todays finds

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA
1) a good bit of clad and pennies at a local playground
2) a ton of iron nails and cans
3) and lastly, the realization that my Christmas present (bounty hunter discovery 1100) from my wife will not detect coins or rings too far below the root system of the grass here. We have extremely fertile soil here and maybe it's the soil type - but after 2 weeks of only finding coins from surface - 3 inches...I finally threw my wedding band in a hole I just pulled a can out of - covered it back up (about maybe 6 inches deep). It didn't even hint at a signal - and slowly began to uncover and it didn't register til out of the hole and on the ground. I dig a ton so I know these places haven't been hit in a while but if there are old coins or jewelry here I don't think I have a shot of finding it unless 3 inches or above...unless it's huge.

I'm gojng to keep hunting clad until I can get around to getting a new MD. Budget is $400 - any ideas?

Upvote 4

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a Garrett or Minelab for somewhere between $300-$400. White is better but more expensive. I would shop on eBay and find someone with a great detector that wants to sell because they did an upgrade and.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know your machine but can you turn the sensitivity up on it?

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used BH, it is an oldie, but a goodie. The Elite 2200 from Bounty Hunter, I purchased it from Craigslist. I have dug quarters down 7 inches and dimes at 6. Good luck

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know much about that detector. I have a Bounty Hunter 505 I got for my wife, and I have used it and found things 6 inches at least with the stock coil. Are you running any special mode or sensitivity?

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
I have a minelab x Terra 305 I love it so far had it 4 months . It has manual ground balance 44 numeric Id and nice depth. I think Kellyco has it in a package deal for 350

sckimbershot

Feb 1, 2014
Low Country South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other
don't throw your detector under the bus just yet. you have to learn more about what/how you are doing. google sensitivity, discrimination as it relates to metaldetectingworld. there are sites with excellent articles on capabilities. spending more $ doesn't necessairly get you more.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look around down in the charter members and supporting vendors area.Some nice stuff for good prices.I wont name names but Ive seen some great prices on very nice lightly used fisher and minelab units lately.

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At $400 I would have to say go for a new Coinmaster gt.....you will reach 6-8 inches. Notch discrimination and a VDI readout. High end features in a mid range detector.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a Garrett or Minelab for somewhere between $300-$400. White is better but more expensive. I would shop on eBay and find someone with a great detector that wants to sell because they did an upgrade and.

I wouldnt say "White is better"....that statement is null

for that price range, you could find a decent Garrett or Minelab - Fisher....and yes....Even a Whites

I would just do some research and be leery of people swaying you into a specific brand.

it all matter WHAT you are really going after or if you want a just all around good machine

best bet is to talk to Bart Bigboy Hobbies....he will do ya right :thumbsup:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every person will have a different opinion on which is "better".....
At $400 you can buy a very nice used machine...some good choices are: Garrett ATpro, Whites MX5, Tesoro Vaquero, or Minelab Xterra 505. All of these are above entry-level machines but all are different. Do your research and pick the one you personally like, none of these are junk and all will find the goods....good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread