Todays GREAT hunt, my oldest coin found!!!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I went this morning to a local park, and starting my way toward the section that I last found some silver.
Noticing it has been hunted since I was last there, I moved a bit further towards the actual spot, where I was before.
Since I was hunting for coins, I had the discrimination turned up, more than usual.I wasn't getting any good signals so I went a bit further up a small old trail.
After getting about 3 shallow trash signals,which were under the surface squashed rusted cans, I got a solid dime reading on my White's M6.
Digging a reading at 5 inches, out came a nice 1903 O, Barber dime. :)

I searched around awhile and didn't get any more signals, so I moved a bit along the trail,seeing a nice good sized tree with some big roots that were above the ground.
Searching around the tree I got a very loud signal....overload..I thought i was going to find another old rusted can.

I raised up my coil from the ground..checking again, and got a solid signal.

Half dollar !! As I moved the leaves from around the tree, my target was right there......on top of the ground. :o

Picking it up,I had to look close!!!!
A 1875 Seated Liberty Half !!!!! Did I see this date right?????
I was shaking.....I had to look at it again...

It WAS an 1875 half.........and the oldest coin I have found detecting!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I decide to come back another day, since my heart was pumping so fast, I probably couldn't heard any more sounds on my headphones........ :)

Looks like, this part of the park still has some good stuff left in it.

Attachments

• bothfront.JPG
    bothfront.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,154
  • bothback.JPG
    bothback.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Trail.jpg
    Trail.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,089
Upvote 0

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is amazing...Very nice finds...I found a barber dime barely covered with grass on time but it was in red clay just under an old cedar tree.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
She'd been seated along time beside those big old roots, I love to run into those finds in the middle of never never land, it really makes you wonder how they got there.

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing.

JimCalif

Feb 18, 2007
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites 6000 di pro sl, gm4/b, vsat, sierra madre
hummm think it's all been said oh well... well done

privet12

Oct 31, 2005
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Now that Is what I'm talking about. I've been trying to break into the 1800s forever and got really close a lot of times but no cigar. Of course I live in an area that isn't that old. Any way those are some very good looking coins way to go and keep it up.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Awesome Half,

I've pulled old barber halfs out of sections of park woods that no one ever bothered to hunt. It is a great feeling. It would suck though to see traces of other hunters.

I'd hit it hard everyday until it was cleared out. Good luck in the future

HH Jer

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!, super day Dimeman,,, Congrats!!!
I once got so exsited about a find, I left my diiging knife and had to go back to get it... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

D

doyboy

Great find with dat Seated. Come on, dudes, you can't re-name someone without the proper paperwork. ;D Just call me three-cent dude!

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I understand why you left..... The human heart can only take so many beats per minute ;D Now GET BACK OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best o' luck
~Nash~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread