TODAY'S HUNT EXTENDS SILVER STREAK TO 5 HUNTS IN A ROW.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that may not seem like a very long streak to some but it is getting a little difficult for me to find a spot that gives up multiple silvers.
Especially in one hunt. I have to say that getting in 5 hunts in January is a feat in itself. My silver for this hunt is a 1945 Mercury Dime. The
weather is going to change tonight with the temps dropping, so today may have been my last January hunt.

One coin that I dug from about 8 inches was an 1864 Indian Head Penny. I didn't know that it was an 1864 until I got home and cleaned it.
What's so unusual about this coin is that from 1859 to 1864, the metallic composition of the Indian Head Penny was Copper Nickel. It has a
very distinct signal. All the Indian heads after 1864, (1865 - 1909), are made from a bronze alloy. This coin came in like a bronze alloy coin.
I checked the book and found out that in 1864 there was both varieties. Copper Nickel, and Bronze alloy. A third variety was also minted in
1864. It is the bronze variety with the "L" tucked in between the ribbon and last feather. This Indian is a little worn but there does appear to
be something there. What do you guys see?

I also got an iron buckle,, (Saddle??), a musket ball, and a small caliber bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_5912.JPG
    IMG_5912.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5911.JPG
    IMG_5911.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5908.JPG
    IMG_5908.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5897.JPG
    IMG_5897.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5909.JPG
    IMG_5909.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 14
Great goin', atw!! Love seeing silver in the plug!! Keep after it as long as this weather holds........it's a bonus for all of us in the northern latitudes!!

Congrats on the Merc and the IH Cent! :icon_thumright:

What you found today should keep you cozy until the next warm spell! Congratulations on some good digs. KyDigNQueen want you to put the mustache on and post a pic of your self.:laughing7:

A little silver and relics, nice hunt! :occasion14:

A.T. DUBBYA! Sweet coins and congrats on the streak! May it keep on going for you. Sub 8-)

I doubt if I could get to your MD level. It is great to see what you have done!

Congrats on another silver, a fatty and that cool token ATW. :occasion14: Thanks for the post, it helps fight off the pain of not swinging the coil for over a week..

Very well done ATW.

2017 is going to be YOUR year.

Well done ATW! You're on a silver roll! Congrats and HH

Congrats on another silver, and a "fatty."
One reason why I didn't think that the IHP was a fatty, (1859 - 1864), is because the fatties are made of a 75% copper / 25% nickel composition. With that composition, your detector will give you a nickel reading. The VDI and audio reports will indicate nickel. This IHP, gave me a signal that indicated it was made of a Bronze Composition. A second reason is obvious. It has the normal thickness of an IHP, that was minted between 1865 - 1909. I forgot that in the latter months of 1864, the mint switched over to the bronze alloy and the thinner thickness. I was quite surprised to see the 1864 date when I cleaned this coin.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back