Todays Hunt... US Belt Plate!!! (New Photo Added)

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi there everyone, Its been a long time since I had gotten out to do anything. I took a friend of mine with me to a couple of my sites in Utica, Indiana because he had never been before. He likes to dig, so I left the hard work to him ;). After about 20 minutes we got a questionable signal and started digging. He pulled a folded piece of metal out of the hole and tossed it aside and said "there's got to be something more in this hole" so he started digging some more. I started unfolding the piece of metal he tossed aside and soon saw the letters "US" come out of the crushed mass of metal! I just about dropped the detector when I realized that we had just found a Union Belt Plate! Its not in the best of shape, but its my first one and its a beauty to me! I also found a pocket watch back with "7-1901" and "J. Sims" inscribed in the metal. A spigot handle, 5 marbles, an iodine bottle (?) with applicator, and a bullet were among the other things we found at a different site. Also pictured is a RARE 4 inch Lost Lake point that I found a few days ago in the same area. Let me know what you think. Thanks and HH!

Fox

Attachments

• usbuckle.jpg
    usbuckle.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 634
  • kirk3.jpg
    kirk3.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Re: Todays Hunt... US Belt Plate!!!

It pays to inspect everything you find WTG

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I'd frame both of those and put 'em on display, Fox! ;) Sounds like you two had a great time!

Congrats on all those finds.... Nana :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice CW find and that point looks awesome! HH, Mike

R

RUDY2003

What a suprise. A belt plate!!! Nice history there....

timbuckII

Jan 12, 2007

Plate looks like it has seen better days, still a neat find. I wonder what happened to it, just makes it more interesting.
How old id that point? Also how would it have been used, on a spear? I know nothing about them.

TC

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1

Any idea of the age of that arrow head? It is a really nice find

Ted

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

timbuckII said:
Plate looks like it has seen better days, still a neat find. I wonder what happened to it, just makes it more interesting.
How old id that point? Also how would it have been used, on a spear? I know nothing about them.

TC

The point is a Lost Lake type point that dates into the early Archaic period (about 8,000 years ago). This particular point would have probably been used as a knife. The beveled blade edge suggests that it was used as a knife and was resharpened.

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1

Though the base looks like it might have been used as a spear point. Anyway holding something that was last held by people of that time is amazing to me.

Ted

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great finds. I would love to find a plate in any condition. Must have been a thrill.

Awesome looking point.

NJ

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.

Cool finds, congrats.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

The lead backing deteriorated and crumbled away. Looks like you got the brass plating that survived the 140 years in the dirt. This is one of the reasons I just cry when I see areas off limits to metal detectors. Another 10 years in the ground, and even what you found may have been lost forever.

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gribnitz said:
The lead backing deteriorated and crumbled away. Looks like you got the brass plating that survived the 140 years in the dirt. This is one of the reasons I just cry when I see areas off limits to metal detectors. Another 10 years in the ground, and even what you found may have been lost forever.

The plate is in a little better condition than what I thought, but it was still close to its end in the ground. In another year or so, that very spot will be nothing but roads and houses. It makes me sick to think of how many great sites will be lost to progress. The last time I went out there, there was a log cabin foundation that I used to metaldetect at and when I went back yesterday, it was gone. Thats 200 years of history bulldozed to the ground. I guess that just means that I need to hit all of those sites in the path of destruction as much as I can in the next year.

HH!

Fox

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello again everyone, here is another picture of the belt plate after I have straightened it out and cleaned it up a bit. Enjoy!

HH!

Fox

Attachments

• usbuckle.jpg
    usbuckle.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 175

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread