Todays lesson

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
Learned 2 things today.Suspicion confirmed that 1 bank was sorting off silver from their halves.Also found out freindly teller was willing to sell.Horse trading netted 1 1900 morgan for $10,1-64 ken plus 3 40% for another $10 and last 1 merc for $1.Hope this good deal will continue.But my guess is someone will enlighten her.She told me off the bat those old silver $s were not worth any thing.I know my face turned bright red when she gladly accepted my offer on the morgan.Said she would have more when I came back.

Upvote 0

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have often "thought" about horse trading as well, just have not got the nerve up. It still amazes me that folks in the banking business are a bit on the short end of the stick--or elect not to care one way or another. Today I inquired about silver notes and the teller just looked at me like I had grown an extra head. She had never heard about them before. Go figure. :dontknow:

A very good trade, indeed.

HSH,
apush :read2:

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010
Wow, I need to try that out sometime. Any tips on how to initiate a conversation that would lead to that?

OP
OP
buckanear

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
This teller started the conversation.I had just asked for $200 in halves.Tried to play dumb at first.She asked if I was looking for silver and out came the morgan.Her eyes lit up at my offer.I don't feel guilty maybe giddy.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
You did ok there. This is our monthly "morals" question that happens here. Myself I'd just think of it as a business transaction. Businesses always pay discount for merchandise. She could have made more but then she would incur a cost of searching that out. She sold at a discount rate to you and you didn't rip her off. Also that was the going rate for those coins about six months ago...and may be again in six months. That is the risk you are taking if you are just buying to add to the pile.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread