Todays measly finds

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005
Today's measly finds

Sorta bummed out on today's finds. Found a park that was established (according to the sign on the building) in 1928. Has a swing, slide, monkey bars,merry go round and some tetter totters and an old baseball field, along with the old community center. Man, this park equipment is OLD I tell ya. All metal and wood, no plastic !!! I was told that there was also a public swimming pool there in the 40's/50's also. You woulda thunk that there would atleast be some silver. I decided to go there today with the Garrett 1350 I just bought. It came with the 7x 12 coil and a HUGE second coil. As far as I am concerned, the gaint coil is pretty much useless when coin shooting. Coil's been used 2 times. Any one need it on the cheap? Now, back to the hunt. The 1350, with either coil was totally erratic. Sorta pist me off. It would say it was a dime or so, x deep. Pinpoint and dig way past the specified depth. NOTHING. Swing back over the hole and NOTHING. GHOST SIGNALS GALORE. Good thing I brought my 12 year old Garrett GTAx500 (back up) detector with me. I hunted for a hour or so with the new 1350. I found one 1967 quarter alongside the monkey bars. Seemed the more I swung the 1350, the worse it got. It has fresh batteries. So after a hour of pulling my hair out and finding nothing but ghosts, I went back to the car and got out old faithful. I went back over where I had been with the 1350 and found many tagrets,unfortunately, they were all bottle caps,pull tabs and a old square nail. I am pretty sure this park has been well hunted by the looks of the finds. 1965 Dime,1967 quarter, a newer dime and 2 newer Mems. and a large handful of old pull tabs ,2 old Coors cans and a pretty old Coke can. Am I right in assuming that the 1965 and newer dimes have no silver content? Has anyone else experienced very erratic behavior with the Garrett 1350? I tried resetting it, turning it on and off, tried just about every preset program, different frequncies,volumes,tones,etc. Same thing. Hope I didn't buy a piece of junk when I bought this new Garrett. The pinpoint feature on the 500 is super easy to use and is pretty accurate, more than I can say for the 1350. Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Upvote 0

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Re: Today's measly finds

Lots of the older parks have had the electrical wires buried underground so they won't show on poles in the park area. Could be this is what is causing some electrical interference. You might have to adjust the gain/Sens a bit lower and see if the detector works better.

The 7X12 coil might still be too large to get the separation of trash to coins in that park.

OP
OP
M

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005

Could someone explain to me what the sensitivity is used for exactly. The 1350 has adjustable sensitivity,tone,volume,etc. When would low sen. need to be used and when would high (on teh scale) sens. need to be used?

OP
OP
M

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005

I went back out while ago. I made a pretty startling discovery about the 1350.

The spot in the center of the coil, where Garrett tells you that's where the coin is located when you pin point, is FALSE.

The Bic pin in this picture points to the "pin-point" area Garrett tells you to look under. The arrow and green dot on the coil IS THE ACTUAL SPOT WHERE THE CON WILL BE LOCATED. Don't believe me, throw a coin on the ground and check it. It's easy to find left to right, but harder to find front to back. Put the coin on the ground, hit the pin point button and hold it. Center the front to back of the coil on the coin. Now move the front of the coil to the closest to you edge of the coin. Now push the coil forward again very slowly until the sound is super faint to non-existant and look at where the coin is !!!!! Geez, I wish Garrett would have said something !!! I've been detecting with this 1350 for 2 weeks now and have probably left some real good stuff !!!!

Attachments

• coil.JPG
    coil.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 330

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

YOU WILL GET BETTER AT IT. BEST OF LUCK.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Take your coil cord off and wrap it the other direction and tape it 3 inches up alowing free movement of the coil.Looks to tight and to close to the coil.

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan

I know the feeling. There are a few old parks in my area that haven't produced anything silver for me yet. I think part of it is other metal detectorists. I have found an antique looking key and toy though, so maybe there are coins they have missed. I'm going to see if I can get any permission to hunt private property in 2009.

Best of luck!

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mutt said:
What will that show me?
It don't matter that the cord is toching just looks like it's pulling to tight.If you pinpoint and stand to close with steel in your shoes it will through it off.Just trying to help.

OP
OP
M

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005

Thanks for the tip Rodger. I'm willing to try any thing at this point. I am just having a problem understanding how the new better detector is less superior to it's earlier counterpart !!! But then again, after discovering that the coin is not where the manufacturer says it is, I know now where it will be located. This was prehaps a major problem. I believe what I need to do to is to buy a pin pointer. This should help a lot.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I had this problem twice this year. I pinpointed from two directions and thought the coin was centered and cut the plug only to find the dime was on the edge of the hole and not in the plug. The dime was standing on edge 1 inch down and the soil was very moist. If the coin had been depper I would not have had a problem.Try the coil in another place and see what happens.

OP
OP
M

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005

I tried it again yesterday afternoon. The soil here is moist, not wet tho. Here, the machine worked fine, and that is when I "discovered" the pinpoint error !!! I'm sorta going with the theroy that the old electrical lines were buried at that park. I did, what I fiugre was about a 4" diameter pipe buried underground, so this may have been just that !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread