Todays Pickup - 6 Bags/35,000 coins - UPDATE #2 (Monster Cu %)

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Today's Pickup - 6 Bags/35,000 coins - UPDATE #2 (Monster Cu %)

I just picked up 6 bags of coin from my Credit Union.
5 x 0.01
1 x 0.10

Generally, it is 2 bags of cents per week from this source. I got 2 bags last week and they had 5 this week. Such an anomaly piques my curiosity. Likewise, dimes are generally 1 bag every 3 weeks. They've had dimes two weeks in a row now. Looking through the clear plastic, nothing seems out of the ordinary (not Zn dumps for the cents anyway). I'll update in a couple of days - once I've searched.

Attachments

• 6bags.jpg
    6bags.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 6bags2.jpg
    6bags2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,118
Upvote 0

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Re: Today's Pickup - 6 Bags/35,000 coins

Hey Madwest, good luck with your bags. I have a C.U. that will sell me the coin bags off the machine just like what you are doing. I havent bought any dime bags yet, I am assuming that they will have more silver than dime boxes on average. Based on the bags of dimes that you have done so far, how have your silver finds been? Also, have you done quarter bags yet and if so, how did that go?

Good luck.

Chris.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

TheRockDoc said:
Hey Madwest, good luck with your bags. I have a C.U. that will sell me the coin bags off the machine just like what you are doing. I havent bought any dime bags yet, I am assuming that they will have more silver than dime boxes on average. Based on the bags of dimes that you have done so far, how have your silver finds been? Also, have you done quarter bags yet and if so, how did that go?

Good luck.

Chris.

I have done dime bags.

$500 bag = 3 Rosies
$275 bag = Skunked

Both from same source

$1000 bag of quarters = Skunked

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

TheRockDoc said:

Good luck.

Chris.

3 consecutive bags of Quarters were skunk. I haven't tried since. They usually have as many quarter bags as they do cents, so I could keep plowing through, but I lost interest.

So far I've done 6 bags of dimes for 5,5,4,7,6,7 respectively (5.7/bag average is like 1.4/box average - similar to other ppl's average). My latest bag of dimes had one Mercury dime and one Canadian Ag - both were firsts for me.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

Nice, so it seems based on your results that it is probably very similiar to what one would average in a box of dimes. That is good to know. I think I will go pick up a bag or two just for the heck of it. Thanks for the insight.

Good luck with those bags today.

Chris.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

TheRockDoc said:
Nice, so it seems based on your results that it is probably very similiar to what one would average in a box of dimes. That is good to know. I think I will go pick up a bag or two just for the heck of it. Thanks for the insight.

Good luck with those bags today.

Chris.

I would kill for averages out of boxes like that. Just did another $410 worth of dimes today, Skunked.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

Dimes are done - more than double the usual average for a bag (14 total). There was actually an "ENDER" on the top of the bag when I cut it open.

1956 x2
1959D
1961D
1964 x3
1964D x4

Here's the Franken-Sorter chugging through those dimes. . I was a bit on edge with this sort because there was TONS of broken glass shards churning around with the coins. It looked like broken beer bottle (hard to see in the pic). The chunks of glass would get caught underneath the coin knife of the hopper and the whole rig would lurch under the torque until the pin wheel would push past the obstruction (which would then fly off to who knows where like shrapnel).

With those numbers from this bag of dimes, I'm going to see if the CU still has the quarters that filled at the same time. If they do, I'll give that bag a whirl.

Attachments

• IMG_8132 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8132 (Small).JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_8131 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8131 (Small).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_8130 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8130 (Small).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_8128_1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_8128_1 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 809

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Today's Pickup - 6 Bags/35,000 coins - UPDATE #1

I have asked my 2 banks many time if I could buy the bags from the machine, they say no becuase they don't know the exact $ and do not want to short change me. :hello:How do I get them to give in and sell me a bag??? Thanks

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Where could I get a machine like that and how much would it cost to set up. What coins can it handle

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

lovelylea said:
I have asked my 2 banks many time if I could buy the bags from the machine, they say no becuase they don't know the exact $ and do not want to short change me. :hello:How do I get them to give in and sell me a bag??? Thanks

My advice is:
1) Be persistent, but not pushy.
2) When they say they can't sell a bag because the count is not guaranteed, say that you aren't worried about that and you won't even count it. Say that you are willing to risk it. It is just a hobby of yours and if it ends up costing you a few bucks to get a bag, no problem.
3) Ask a different bank.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

Hi Ho Silver! said:
Where could I get a machine like that and how much would it cost to set up. What coins can it handle

. . . one of a kind, home built. The parts are . . . The total cost is $... in parts and $... in shipping charges.

You are probably familiar with ... to sort dimes.

I have done dimes and cents with mine with great success. I know that it is capable of doing quarters and halves with a modification to ... However, I've had exactly zero luck with quarter bags (4k consecutive skunk) and halves are so easy to edge search so I don't use the machine. I've confirmed that nickels ...

I haven't run the cents yet. I've been working 13-14hr days at work. >:(

Last edited:

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

madwest said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:

My Franken-Sorter is one of a kind, home built. The parts are used, reclaimed components from slot machines - available on ebay as well as slot machine parts/service online stores. The total cost is $55 in parts and $15 in shipping charges.

You are probably familiar with the Ryedale for sorting cents. I believe the Ryedale could be modified to sort dimes.

I have done dimes and cents with mine with great success. I know that it is capable of doing quarters and halves with a modification to the hopper. However, I've had exactly zero luck with quarter bags (4k consecutive skunk) and halves are so easy to edge search so I don't use the machine. I've confirmed that nickels are not an option whatsoever (the electronic signature of the wartime Ag alloy presents nearly exactly the same as cupro-nickel).

I haven't run the cents yet. I've been working 13-14hr days at work. >:(

Very nice sorter. Looks like you have them going through 2 compairtors...nice idea! I have been looking into building one myself, but cant seem to find a hopper to handle dimes. Can you give any insight on how I may get ahold of one or how to modify a nickel hopper?

Also, what coin compairtor did you end up buying? There are so many on ebay it makes my head hurt. LOL

Thanks for the help. Just started doing dimes...kinda time consuming..this would be great!

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other

I really like that setup Madwest. That's ingenius using an old computer for the coin compator!!!

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

Novapax said:
. . . I have been looking into building one myself, but cant seem to find a hopper to handle dimes. Can you give any insight on how I may get ahold of one or how to modify a nickel hopper?

Some ppl say that you can use... I converted ... by changing out ... and then ... Search ebay for ...

Novapax said:
Also, what coin compairtor did you end up buying? There are so many on ebay it makes my head hurt. LOL

... (with a ... in the model number, the rest ...). Basically, you just need to ask the seller for ....

Last edited:
OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

4 of the 5 bags of cents are mostly done. They were all monster bags for Cu, not so much for wheat (or Canadian). In all, more than 50% Cu. I'll figure out the wheat after I've done the 5th bag.

I don't count (for obvious reasons) so you'll have to guage by volume. Cu is on the left, Zn on the right, wheat+Canadian in the center. The 4 pics are cumulative for the 4 bags.

Attachments

• bag1 (Small).JPG
    bag1 (Small).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 477
  • bag2 (Small).JPG
    bag2 (Small).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 578
  • bag3 (Small).JPG
    bag3 (Small).JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 572
  • bag4 (Small).JPG
    bag4 (Small).JPG
    71 KB · Views: 592

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Today's Pickup - 6 Bags/35,000 coins - UPDATE #2 (Monster Cu %)

wow nice totals, I am also liking the pictures :) Keep at it :icon_sunny:

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

madwest said:
Novapax said:
. . . I have been looking into building one myself, but cant seem to find a hopper to handle dimes. Can you give any insight on how I may get ahold of one or how to modify a nickel hopper?

Some ppl say that you can use a nickel hopper as is (I haven't tried it). I converted a nickel hopper to dime by changing out the "shelf wheel" to a dime wheel and then modifying the "coin knife" Search ebay for someone selling shelf wheels and ask them if they have dime wheels.

Novapax said:

CC-16E (with a 2.6g in the model number, the rest doesn't matter much). Basically, you just need to ask the seller for a nickel, dime, or penny comparator.

Thank you for the information. I'm doing some searching for a hopper and shelf wheel.

Thanks again.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Re: Today's Pickup - 6 Bags/35,000 coins - UPDATE #2 (Monster Cu %)

Wow, :o that's one mess of pennies!

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Novapax said:
madwest said:
Novapax said:

Some ppl say that you can use a nickel hopper as is (I haven't tried it). I converted a nickel hopper to dime by changing out the "shelf wheel" to a dime wheel and then modifying the "coin knife" Search ebay for someone selling shelf wheels and ask them if they have dime wheels.

Novapax said:

CC-16E (with a 2.6g in the model number, the rest doesn't matter much). Basically, you just need to ask the seller for a nickel, dime, or penny comparator.

Thank you for the information. I'm doing some searching for a hopper and shelf wheel.

Thanks again.

FYI - If you look for penny or dime shelf wheels, make sure they are designed for your particular hopper. I bought four dime wheels thinking all wheels are created equal...not so. The wheels I bought had a raised edge (flange) around the center hole and the center hole was slightly smaller in diameter than those that fit the IGT S2000 hoppers I was converting. Fortunately, a friend of a friend has the metalworking tools that enabled him to get rid of the flange and enlarge the center center. I suggest verifying the size and configuration of the shelf wheel with the seller.

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

So far I have not been able to find a shelf wheel for dimes for any hopper. Guess this may be a lost cause unless I can find one.

I will keep looking.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread