Todays pocket change find

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally I posted in the COINS section....but it was found today so I guess I can show it off here too....maybe a more open venue for some feedback as well.....posting went as follows....

I don't typically put "possible coin errors" up on this forum since...well....you know the famous saying......"opinions are like a certain anatomy, everyone has one" ......but i figured this might make a few people think outside of the box for a few seconds. I was doing my typical pocket change search today and came across a 1972 penny....no big deal....checked for any die doubling...none present....typical start......but then I noticed something strange about the coin.......along the rim there is what seems to be reversed lettering....upon further examination i SWEAR that i see "UNUM" reversed on the rim next to the date and "NITED STATES" reversed on the rim next to the Liberty on the OBV side of the coin......tell me what you think.....is this one of those strange MAD clash errors?

Attachments

• MAD clash coin.jpg
    MAD clash coin.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 987
  • MAD clash coin2.jpg
    MAD clash coin2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 972
  • unum MAD clash .jpg
    unum MAD clash .jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 981
  • united states MAD clash.jpg
    united states MAD clash.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 963
  • MAD clash coin.jpg
    MAD clash coin.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 974
  • MAD clash coin2.jpg
    MAD clash coin2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 973
  • unum MAD clash .jpg
    unum MAD clash .jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 975
  • united states MAD clash.jpg
    united states MAD clash.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 973
Upvote 0

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone took a scissors to the coin and made those marks. Not sure why people do that, but I see them all the time. Don't give up! Errors in pocket change are hard to come by, but they are out there

HH
-GC

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Definitely words along the rim. I think it's a mint error, but don't know enough to say how it happened. Good eye.

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldencoin..........I respect your opinion and your history and experience on this forum but we will have to agree to disagree. I have seen countless numbers of trauma shear cuts on coins....and have made some myself....its something us bored medics do in our spare time to boast about the quality of our equipment "check it out, my scissors can cut pennies". But I assure you that it is in fact lettering on the rim of the coin. Im at a loss on how it happened....be it on purpose or accident.....I still find it cool :) I enlarged the picture and highlighted some of the areas that show its lettering....

Attachments

• united states MAD clashdetails.jpg
    united states MAD clashdetails.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 789

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I see it now! But the fact that it's backwards means that it was not made by a die strike, more likely, another penny was smashed on top of that one to create it. In which case, they are not usually considered mint errors, since anyone can do that.

HH
-GC

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
goldencoin said:
OK, I see it now! But the fact that it's backwards means that it was not made by a die strike, more likely, another penny was smashed on top of that one to create it. In which case, they are not usually considered mint errors, since anyone can do that.

HH
-GC
OK being a fairly serious coin collector this one got my curiosity going. It was not done by another penny since the "UNUM" is in the wrong place and the lettering is too big. goldencoin also makes a good point that the lettering is a mirror image. So I dug out my pocket change to see what has "Unum" directly across from "United States" I also decided that whatever caused this must be larger than a penny for the letters to end up on the rim of your coin. Pull a nickle out of your pocket and have a look. It's also a harder metal than copper so I believe that for whatever reason the reverse side of a nickle struck a penny struck a penny hard enough to cause this. It's most definately post mint damage and while it was a great catch to spot it it's not an error and is worth exactly one cent. I could go out to my garage and with a big hammer, make you as many of these as you like. Does the reverse look flattened at all ?

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: By golly bandit I think you got it. Thanks!!!! I checked it out for myself and its a match. Slightly saddening but hey....its good to get your wheels turning once in awhile :) :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I was going to say nickel, but I'm thankful I read more to see someone posted first. I do believe this was done on purpose. The "A" in states looks like it has multiple strikes but I'm not sure why the other letters don't have a blur to them. Just my two cents and I'm normaly wrong just ask my wife.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bushido Dude said:
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: By golly bandit I think you got it. Thanks!!!! I checked it out for myself and its a match. Slightly saddening but hey....its good to get your wheels turning once in awhile :) :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Hey, I got it first in your other thread! Great minds think alike as they say!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread