Today’s practice on glass

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I worked these 2 pieces with deer antlers. Neither glass piece is finished yet. This is more of a progress photo.
I’m starting to get slightly larger flakes than previously, but still needs a lot of improvement. My biggest issues seem to be:
1: grinding platforms correctly
2: pushing in and down rather than just down.
I think improvement will come with practice.
I hope this is the right forum. It’s the closest I saw for pressure flaking glass.
IMG_2793.jpeg
IMG_2794.jpeg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You're way ahead of me!

I busted flint into....Well nothing to brag about.
I saved some nice diameter copper rod somewhere. ( More than wire it's so thick.)
Was going to seat a couple pieces in antler and taper one to a point while just knocking the shoulders off the other.

This will read strange , vibrations are happening . ( No not the Beachboys!)
From abrading an edge before leaning on it to crunch or baton it ; just keep moving.
Crunch crunch crunch rather than crunch , inspect and reposition while vibes are fading out then another crunch followed by another pause.
Like someone hungry eating ear corn. l.o.l..
That or my being less cautious and moving faster helped some other way.

One glass knapper used a big nail that was more a spike.
Put it in bottle or jar selected for a clear (no goofy pontil or lettering ect.) and shook it around the bottom edge best he could to knock it out for material without the raised edge of the sides...
I never tried it..Oh I can break glass though. My best hope being a sharp fragment to use instead of knapping some...

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
You're way ahead of me!

I busted flint into....Well nothing to brag about.
I saved some nice diameter copper rod somewhere. ( More than wire it's so thick.)
Was going to seat a couple pieces in antler and taper one to a point while just knocking the shoulders off the other.

This will read strange , vibrations are happening . ( No not the Beachboys!)
From abrading an edge before leaning on it to crunch or baton it ; just keep moving.
Crunch crunch crunch rather than crunch , inspect and reposition while vibes are fading out then another crunch followed by another pause.
Like someone hungry eating ear corn. l.o.l..
That or my being less cautious and moving faster helped some other way.

One glass knapper used a big nail that was more a spike.
Put it in bottle or jar selected for a clear (no goofy pontil or lettering ect.) and shook it around the bottom edge best he could to knock it out for material without the raised edge of the sides...
I never tried it..Oh I can break glass though. My best hope being a sharp fragment to use instead of knapping some...
Thanks for the post.
I wonder if The antler tip needs sharpened so it’s a smaller diameter.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the post.
I wonder if The antler tip needs sharpened so it’s a smaller diameter.
Antlers are subject to amount of moisture/humidity ect.
They can get chalky and brittle. Lose thier "tone" too.
You certainly can reduce a tip. Core is usually softer than the outer antler though.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sharpen your tine to a point. Using antler is the harder way to learn. I used copper until I figured out what I was needing to do. I used all antler and hammer stones later on. Definitely more difficult abo style. If your other antler is for percussion, you need to shape the end on a belt sander and get rid of the nubs. Make the end rounded and not flat on the end.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Sharpen your tine to a point. Using antler is the harder way to learn. I used copper until I figured out what I was needing to do. I used all antler and hammer stones later on. Definitely more difficult abo style. If your other antler is for percussion, you need to shape the end on a belt sander and get rid of the nubs. Make the end rounded and not flat on the end.
Ok, thanks. I still use the copper for most attempts. The antlers were available and I wanted to experiment.
I’ll shape the ends.👍🏼

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread