Todays question/Most valuable any person ever found...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Today's question/Most valuable any person ever found...

Would be interesting to learn the single most valuable item (or collection of items if a cache) ever found with a traditional metal detector by anyone in the world. I would limit this to "on land" because once you get into boats and other resources needed to find wrecks, I think it takes the "average Joe detectorist" factor out of it. Would be interested if some of you could document with links the best finds ever.

Upvote 0
Re: Today's question/Most valuable any person ever found...

Are we talking in the US or elsewhere? I know in England one guy found a whole field full of silver Roman coins.

My personal best is a silver belt buckle.

I am having somethimng sent to Robert Haag " The Metorite Man" If it is what I hope it is ...That will be my treasure of all time!!Found it in a river!!

Yes, anywhere in the world or universe. :-)

That's amazing. Can't believe the guy might have to give them up. Like the Queen doesn't have enough stuff already.

Uncirculated no less! Cleaning them!!!!!!!! Nice they wait to figure out ownership before they start to devalue them This could happen here if we are not carefull!

I find it unbelievable that a man finds a cache on his property and there is a question as to who it belongs to.

Makes you realize why our ancestors got on a cork of a boat and went looking for something better doesn't it? Hopefully none of us will forget that and let some SOB take our birthrights from us....Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit baby!!!! >:(

It's my understanding that if he doesn't get the coins back then he get paid the estimated value of them if the Crown keeps them but who gets the gold mine & who gets (well you know what I mean). This country will do the same but no compensation if they can. >:(.

I dont mean to down the british govt. but this is a giant pile of BS. Kiss my big white a*! if you're thinking of taken my treasure. It just goes to show when you do hit the jackpot, keep you're mouth shut!

stoney56 said:
It's my understanding that if he doesn't get the coins back then he get paid the estimated value of them if the Crown keeps them but who gets the gold mine & who gets (well you know what I mean). This country will do the same but no compensation if they can. >:(.
WELL SAID STONEY, at least they give their People RESPECT

hopefully they'll let him keep at least one

I'm with you guys, they would have to pull'em out of my cold dead hand to get'em... >:(
Funny how they don't worry about it until you have it, then they want it...lol
:P, on them... thats saying it nicely... ;D

Makes me sick to my stomach to read this news. It would be one thing if they weren't found on his property or maybe even public property, but this is flat out theft, no two ways about it!! Sanctioned theft.

Dudes

Tried to come up with something.? I ran to my copy of the redbook which does describe hoards and caches found but doesn't describe their actual values.? ?(some show face value)

Started a research project on a certain guy and then found out that his cache was found.? The cache was 700 dollars face value, not sure of real value.

I know of a guy that has found 3 caches all buried by one person.? He says there are more.? All I know is he has the value of three really old mason jars.? (ok, and maybe I saw a dime...)

I agree with everyone, total BS. The only thing I bet this has to do with where at least the idea is probably motivated by something positive, is probably if it is deemed something of important historical significance, they want it shared with all the people, as they said it will go in a museum. As long as they give the guy some money, it's a little better, but still sucks.

I agree with dgaughan...but i think they should let him keep about a hundred of em'. Whats a hundred when he found 20,000, you know??

none of it would have happened if he would have just shut up in the first place. Sure, he could say he found 10, but sayin you found 20,000 roman coins in your backyard is STUPID!!

Another thing is it would be hard to sell off that many, even a few at a time, cause dealers have to, I think, report the buys to the gov. and it would be difficult to export that many w/o having a problem. Note I said difficult not impossible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back