Todays technology in MD!

digsomemore

Oct 12, 2011
south carolina
Detector(s) used
White's classic SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello people of the forum. I have not been here long but has metal detected for 8 or more years. The question I would like to know is not what type of metal detector I should upgrade to but, do I really need to? I have a White's Classic SL dig and beep with very little discrimination. But as you know, most of us dig everything anyways. So, do I or do I not need to upgrade to today's level of MD to keep up with the times? Do they really change that much? Would love for an answer yall are the ones to know. Happy Hunting.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Classics were the sleeper range that didn't get the credit they should have. Bill Crabtree did the modifications (G.B. etc) Whites should have in the first place very cheaply and this will "upgrade" you.

The one worry is that if its an early model it can't use the range of coils the later (Classic III on) can. That's all the Blue Max ones. I think the mod if you do have a early version is fairly easy, might just be a connector change as all versions ran at 6.592 kHz but don't that as Gospel.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many will argue that the newer detectors are far advanced than yesterdays. True they are lighter weight, have more coils available for them plus more features. It comes down to how much fun you can stand. Some of todays models have LCD screens that "tell you what's in the ground and it's depth." You can take this with a couple grains of salt. But some hunters will only dig if the detector says Quarters for instance. So it depends on your fun level. :coffee2:

OP
OP
D

digsomemore

Oct 12, 2011
south carolina
Detector(s) used
White's classic SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for your help the grass is not always greener right the new one look nice but we all think we need a better on thanks again

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like this... I was out with my mxt in full discretion, but every time the threshold would brake.. I would glance at the screen too see what gives,and low and behold the nickle icon and vdi matched, so I dug it was a nickel and my partner never new I was one up on him... It's the true silent search...I love my mxt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread