Today's Treasure , Art , Gerda Wegener

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3.50$ at salvation army. 50% off on red ink.
I got the frame to go with the art peice.
I didn't buy it for the religious one althought interesting.
I got it for the antique art hidden in back.
Google lense showed me something interesting and I woulda got it anyways, very unique art for shure.
To think it's over 100yrs.
Art nouveau style , but more
Did some research
Gerda wegener.

Some questions arise.
Original? Seems so.
Artist proof?
Any other examples?
Is the model for this one Lili?
PXL_20240126_143749565.jpg
PXL_20240126_163656594.jpg
PXL_20240126_163741234.jpg

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chastised love 1915
Screenshot_20240126-121035~2.png

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found out. The Danish girl, a movie about Gerda came out not too long ago. Maybe the date of this peice is too old for lili to be the model? I looked at quite a bit more of her work. Cool stuff.
Could be a significant find?
Heres a better photo . Unfortunately has a small issue.. but not over the main art at all thankfully.
PXL_20240126_183944558.MP~2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a thought.
Looks like blood.
A signature ?? Of sorts...?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool art something you wouldn't see in today's society OMG taking a switch to a child. LOL My Mom made art with my butt many a time. And I had to choose the switch.

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool art something you wouldn't see in today's society OMG taking a switch to a child. LOL My Mom made art with my butt many a time. And I had to choose the switch.
I think today's society is probably the best time for it to come to light.
Given other particulars inherent to her art.
Also
I Read how one of the artists earliests peices was kicked out of a competition at her time for being too lascivious ,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By looking at more of Gerda's art, and photos of her . I think Its more of a self portrait.
Looking at the ring specifically.
When the two ladies are portrayed together Lili doesn't have the ring.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sincerely doubt that this is an artist’s proof, or even an original Gerda Wegener. It looks to be an adaptation, heavily cropped and made to fit into a circular cartouche, rather the original oval cartouche of Wegener’s work. Note also the additional foliage to the left and above the hand holding the switch, which is not present in the original work. Signed in blood? No, I don’t think so.

Wegener.jpg

In terms of subject, it’s quite likely that Lili Elbe (Einar Wegener at the time) was the model or the inspiration for the ‘lady’ in the picture. Their biographical accounts/memoirs say that soon after they married in 1904, the ‘male’ Einar (wearing stockings and high heels) stood in for one of Gerda’s models who had been taken ill. From that moment Einar said that not only did he feel at home in women’s clothing, but believed he had been born a woman and regularly posed for Gerda. He soon began parading in public dressed as a woman and sometimes using his alter-ego name ‘Lili’. After gender re-assignment surgery he ultimately obtained a Danish passport in 1930 in the name of Lili Elbe, confirming his gender as female.

The other work sandwiched with it is as described on the back. A print from a work by the 13th/14th Italian artist Simone Martini titled “Maesta”. The producer of the print, L’istituto Fotocromatico of Florence, Italy was founded in 1928. Until 1980, they made high quality prints as collotypes (an antiquated gelatin-based photographic printing process that generates images in a wide variety of tones without the need for halftone screens) before switching to lithographs and other modern processes.

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly I noticed the variations.
More acceptable for adorning the modest persons home , but with hidden meaning for those who know.
Back in the day she must have made variations of her work, for example covering up the nudity and satyr figure to make it more acceptable to a certain audience.
Also after Lili changed her name officially the king voided the marriage.
Lili dies from a surgery.
Gerda finds a new young partner, Italian.
Maybe it's more than coincidence the other peice of art comes from italy.
Signed by blood, you may think not. But anything is possible. And in this artists case I think. More than usual....
On eBay there is currently a lot of 3 with variations and signatures.
Screenshot_20240126-123529~2.png

Also in her final years , her new partner made her broke and her art was no longer in fashion. What was once prized was no longer desired . Her original art could well have been sold by her . Under such circumstances.

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the examples I found. The original with tree. Then with tree removed.
Then with background changed . And less definition overall. Then its appearance in the magazine.
I think mine is also an original . Submitted by the artist for approval Or modified to be placed on something like say a ceramic dish lid etc..
Screenshot_20240127-113005~2.png
Screenshot_20240127-113025~2.png
Screenshot_20240127-113016~2.png
Screenshot_20240127-231939~2.png

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for more magazine copies of mine . When I found the magazine copy of the Arys perfume one.
I want to get the French peom written on the bottom of mine in the magazine.

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just posting a shred of some research I did awhile back. I want to keep it all together .
There was a museum in 2023 that auctioned off alot of her originals.
One site showed estimates not sale prices, another site showed how much above estimates they sold.
Screenshot_20240319-233531.png

OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mackaydon. Good resource I did read it.
"The maesta is sacred and profane"

Unfortunately couldn't find a translation or more info on this part Wich interested me

""An inscription runs under the fresco, a reassurance from the Virgin to her audience, that she will watch over Siena, on one condition:

“Diletti mei ponete nelle menti/che li devoti vostri preghi onesti/come vorrete voi faro co(n)tenti/ma se i potenti ai debili fien molesti/gravando loro e con vergogne o danni/le vostre oration non son per questi/ne per qualunque la mia terra inganni”. "'

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Translated:
"My beloved, bridge in the minds / who devote your honest prayers / as you wish I will make them happy. / But if the powerful are annoying to the weak, / burdening them either with shame or damage, / your prayers are not for these / nor for anyone my land deceives"
Source: Google
Don in SoCal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread