rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to come back and view them again. Dang they are really pretty! All of them.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Wow, that golden material is just incredible, and then to have a killer point made from it!!!!

Are those all Mandan artifacts?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that golden material is just incredible, and then to have a killer point made from it!!!!

yup
that is Knife River Flint (KRF)
and they are mandan artifacts......and some earlier...pelican lake, oxbow, duncan hanna etc

it is north dakotas first export commodity
it has been found in many states....it is from the KRF quarrie at dunn center, north dakota

you can google it if you are wanting more info

Last edited:
N

natchitoches

i sure would like to get a big peace of that flint
not to brake up. just for a display . to go with all my other rocks lol

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok natch
we will try to find you a chunk

If your giving chunks out of that type of rock...Ill beg for some. I would like to add it to my rock collection. I like all types of rocks that have color. I have some black if you want to trade? Doesnt have to be artifacts. There is a type of chert found only in my area called skunk chert, it is black with white running through it if you want some.

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes these are Mandan. Thes pieces as well as e everything I post all come crom the same Mandan village site. Thanks for looking.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for the info and replies guys, I've seen the KRF acronym before, just never knew what type it was referring to!

It certainly seems the Mandan's were a prolific nation at one time, any estimates as to their size?

I believe they were contemporaneous with Cahokia, if memory serves...and often it doesn't, lol.

I'd be willing to send some Flint Ridge Flint (Nether's farm striped, Ohio's favorite material) chunks your way for a display piece in trade, as well!

ps) I also nominated it for banner!

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info and replies guys, I've seen the KRF acronym before, just never knew what type it was referring to!

It certainly seems the Mandan's were a prolific nation at one time, any estimates as to their size?

I believe they were contemporaneous with Cahokia, if memory serves...and often it doesn't, lol.

I'd be willing to send some Flint Ridge Flint (Nether's farm striped, Ohio's favorite material) chunks your way for a display piece in trade, as well!

ps) I also nominated it for banner!

Thanks. I do know the Mandan a very powerful and important people at on time. It seems when they arrived in this area the never left. When they arrived and where they came from really hasn't been thoroughly investigated.

(Quote from (Mandan Languages of the World/Material)

" Epidemics and inter-tribal warfare reduced these Missouri River village-dwelling horticulturists, from 5000 to under 200 members by 1837."

and this a link to some good early work on Mandan and their culture.
Mandan - Jacob Vradenberg Brower, Ernst Reinhold Steinbrueck, George Catlin - Google Books

and more info here
NDDOT - Scattered Village Report

and here

http://www.paleocultural.org/Reports/Larson Village PCRG Research Contribution 81.pdf

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for the links and the PM!

From what I understand about the spread of European disease, we probably wiped out huge percentages of many tribes before we even knew about them.
I'd guess it was more than 5,000 before they did the guesstimate.

I've always been a fan of their lodges as well and Steve's posted some pretty cool links....it'd be cool to build one.

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the links and the PM!

From what I understand about the spread of European disease, we probably wiped out huge percentages of many tribes before we even knew about them.
I'd guess it was more than 5,000 before they did the guesstimate.

I've always been a fan of their lodges as well and Steve's posted some pretty cool links....it'd be cool to build one.
I agree that there were likely many more at one time. I also think that disease was the final blow to a culture and population already in decline. Competing tibes adopted the horse and began direct trade with fur traders much sooner then the Mandan. Once their enemy's were mobile and had access to superior weapons and material, it was to late for the Mandan.

The following was taken from this website
Historic Sites - Fort Abraham Lincoln Foundation

On-a-Slant Mandan Village

Long before Lewis and Clark ventured up the Missouri River in 1804, the Mandan people had been thriving on a very productive agricultural lifestyle in the Heart River area. For most of a thousand years, the Mandan (Nu'eta) called the region home, living in a succession of earthlodge villages. Rich in culture and tradition, Mandan men hunted buffalo and other game, while women grew several varieties of corn, squash and beans. Food surpluses and more-or-less permanent settlements led to trade with other Native American nations and the Mandan became central to an ancient inter-tribal trade network.

Around 1575, families from three nearby villages came to build a fortified village on a tract of gentle sloping land located on the west bank of the Missouri River, about a mile south of its confluence with the Heart River. This is the village known to history as On-a-Slant.

In 1781, the Mandan of On-a-Slant village suffered greatly during a smallpox epidemic that swept from Mexico to Canada and from the Mississippi to the Pacific coast. The last chief of On-a-Slant, Good Boy, rallied the survivors and joining with survivors from other villages, moved north to establish a city near their Hidatsa allies, near what is now the Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site.

The Mandan of On-a-Slant Village left a legacy that still lives on as interpretive guides take you through six reconstructed earthlodges, in an effort to tell the Mandan story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread