Token experts! I need an ID! Pics inside :)

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this token in Arlington, TX under a tree at about 5 inches.
Any insights? As far as I can read it says "Miami Tex" "Office (s)(a)loon" "Good for Drink".
The back is blank.
Thanks for any help!
GL & HH
~Brad

officesaloon.jpg

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Insights?? I don't know about that, but after I stopped drooling over your token I checked Texas trade tokens and the two supplements published by TAMS and found nothing listed for Miami, Texas in any of them. There is no mention of Miami, TX tokens on Durocher or Greever's websites for Texas either.

I'm no expert on Texas saloon tokens by any means, but you have a spectacular find there. I'd guess the value at $500 and up. Do not clean it any further.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tokensmith said:
Insights?? I don't know about that, but after I stopped drooling over your token I checked Texas trade tokens and the two supplements published by TAMS and found nothing listed for Miami, Texas in any of them. There is no mention of Miami, TX tokens on Durocher or Greever's websites for Texas either.

I'm no expert on Texas saloon tokens by any means, but you have a spectacular find there. I'd guess the value at $500 and up. Do not clean it any further.

I thank you very much for trying to find some info. I guess it can be a good thing when you can't find any info! :)
And it does show that I was a little rough with it. I couldn't read anything on it at first! It's going in a holder and not coming out!
Looks like I'm going back to that site tonight... ;)

~Brad

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the token is unlisted, then you have a legitimate reason to contact the authors of the Texas Trade Token book. They'll probably want a photo of your token for a future publication, and of course you'll be able to pop the "Value Question" while you're talking with them (either by e-mail or phone). You could have the only example known.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
If the token is unlisted, then you have a legitimate reason to contact the authors of the Texas Trade Token book. They'll probably want a photo of your token for a future publication, and of course you'll be able to pop the "Value Question" while you're talking with them (either by e-mail or phone). You could have the only example known.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Would you be so kind as to tell me how to contact them?
I'd love to get this token listed.

~Brad

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
As far as I know, there is no one currently working on a new Texas token book. If you can take a better picture, the best way to let future catalogers know is to provide Dave Durocher's site (the link Buckleboy gave) and tokencatalog.com with a good picture.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
found a few listings. mr. office sure spread his name around! ??? mike

OFFICE / SALOON / J. H. SIMMS / 312 / MAIN ST. / CHICO, CA
OFFICE / SALOON / GOOD FOR / 5 C / IN TRADE
OFFICE SALOON WALSENBURG, CO
OFFICE SALOON, W. WILSON 501 CONG. AVE. AUSTIN, TX
OFFICE SALOON PORT TOWNSEND, WA
OFFICE SALOON BIFACIAL
OFFICE SALOON, J.F. DORAN PENDLETON, OR

Top Member Reactions