TOKEN FOUND BUT NO INFO

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this token in my neighbors yard. It appears to be a Mardi Gras token of some kind, though I can find no examples of it online.

It reads on the obverse: MYSTIC ORDER OF MUSES - DAPHNE QUEEN OF CARNIVAL 1961
REVERSE: MARDI GRAS DAPHNE PASCAGOULA - XXI - FANTASY ISLAND 1982

My neighbor has been at the home for 13 years and doubt it got there since he has lived in the home. Seems in pretty good shape to me. Don't know what the material is, but its very light.

Another interesting find for me.

MARDIGRAS_FRONT.JPG MARDIGRAS_BACK.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 3

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has to be made of aluminum as most doubloons were made back then. Now, they're plastic. Mystic Order of Muses was "formed" in 1961. 1982 would be the year the doubloon was made to represent that years parade.

Doubloons and Beads
The tradition of throwing doubloons at parade-goers came from Europe. Krewe
members threw sugar-coated almonds called dragees to the crowd. That tradition gave
birth to the traditional parade cry, "Throw me something, Mister!" Legend says that after
running out of other things to toss to the crowd, a carnival king reached into his pocket
and started throwing coins at the crowd. Now, the coins carry the different krewe names
and themes.

As for beads , legend says that tradition started after a Mardi Gras queen took off her
pearl necklace and tossed it to the crowd. Members riding the Gulf Coat Carnival
Association's floats will throw more than half a million beads during its two parades.
Gold is the most popular color beads. They bring you good luck. White beads are for
kisses.

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the history lesson. How it got here in Gold Country I'll never know. Certainly a keeper in my token collection.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the history lesson. How it got here in Gold Country I'll never know. Certainly a keeper in my token collection.

Possibility someone from CA made a trip to the MS Mardi Gras parade, caught the doubloon then lost it. Never know...yes, it a keeper for your collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread