Token ID ?? introduction

mdbowhunter

May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone, This is my first "REAL" post on the site and just got new into "real" metal detecting appox 8 months ago. I have a whites MXT Tracker - I have found alot of junk and and diddnt realize I found anthuing of real interest until I saw "DIGGERS" on TV and realized I might have dug a trade token. Along with the token I have also dug the 2 Bullets shown and a 1942 barber dime - But most of all I had a ton of fun doing it -

I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me a DATE or anymore info on the token ?? And any other info on the other items - As I said Im new to the forums and HOBBY and man it is a blast!! Wish I could find some local guys that would like to hook up and go out - I have the Coin mode down pat on the MXT but finding it difficult running in the relic mode
1) Trade Token ? was found in Rosedale Maryland just outside of Baltimore
2 &3)Large and Small Bullet were found in Dundalk MD, just outside of Baltimore after reasearching the History of the battle of North Point against the Brittish
4) Common 1942 Barber - Really just for size comparison

Im definatly not in this hobby for money - I absolutly LOVE metal Detecting!!! But is there any Value in any of these items ?
Thanks in advance for the info

DSC_1069_zps68af8347.jpg

DSC_1066_zps14ff595f.jpg

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunter--welcome to the forum! Help us out with what the other side of the token says. Yes, it is a trade token, in this case it was good for 10¢ plus 1¢ "war tax" in trade at some business that hopefully is defined on the other side. As far as a date, I'm guessing it would have been during WWII when the "Revenue Act of 1942" was imposed. I don't know of a similar tax during WWI.

And, btw, the dime is a Mercury (officially "Winged Liberty Head") - they replaced the Barber-designed ones in 1916.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
M

mdbowhunter

May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter--welcome to the forum! Help us out with what the other side of the token says. Yes, it is a trade token, in this case it was good for 10¢ plus 1¢ "war tax" in trade at some business that hopefully is defined on the other side. As far as a date, I'm guessing it would have been during WWII when the "Revenue Act of 1942" was imposed. I don't know of a similar tax during WWI.

And, btw, the dime is a Mercury (officially "Winged Liberty Head") - they replaced the Barber-designed ones in 1916.

Thanks IdahoToken, Unfortunatly the other side is an exact replica of this side- there is no town, date or nothing, absolutly exact
Also the smaller bullet was found right where the war against the british occoured however being a hunter it looks more to me like a 22 round than a round they
woulve used against the brittish lol - Thanks again for your help !

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Having both sides the same and not naming the issuing individual/business/location makes for a tough attribution. Further, a little more looking into the 1942 tax act doesn't indicate that it contained a "sales tax" like this suggests. Perhaps it was a state or local tax. I'd suggest you take some good in-focus closeups (use the macro setting on your camera) and post both sides on Richard's Token Database - TokenCatalog.com - it may take a while, but there are a lot of token-researchers active on that site and somebody may turn up something.
John in the Great 208

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I was doing some research today in a 1914 newspaper and found some information on the "war tax" that was to be imposed starting in 1915. From what I could tell, it was a federal sales tax. That date corresponds to the "look" of your token. But that is all I can tell...

John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread