• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 313

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
MonDak--the "numbers" tokens are a bit like the "numbers" shortwave radio transmissions - a mystery that may never be solved, but one that has a lot of theories. One theory that seems pretty logical was that they were part of an operation involving "trade stimulator" slot machines. When gambling was illegal, some area still had these machines set up in pool halls, cigar stores, etc. A nickel went in, the handle was pulled, and sometimes some of these tokens came out. The tokens supposedly could only be redeemed at the store where they were won, but a lot of them found their way out and into other machines, etc. And the number, according to the theory, corresponded either to a given machine or perhaps to a route operated by a vending machine operator. The numbered tokens made the whole scheme anonymous to prevent trouble with the law.

John in ID

Z

ZumbroKid

Wyoming? I think I'm going down there to hunt this coming week end.

B

Brush Creek

Ill redeem them for you send them here and Ill give 5 cents for each one
just a try

I like tokens

I read that some companys would buy coins from other countrys and re stamp them into tokens

Z

ZumbroKid

Re: Well Free2

MonDak said:
Free2Dtect! said:
Wyoming? I think I'm going down there to hunt this coming week end.
If you are coming to my area, and would be interested in exchanging
a story or two, PM me.
Where in Wyoming are you at?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of tokens were purposely made without the name of the place where they could be redeemed. This was to avoid any more trouble with the law than the business already had. For the most part, gambling was outlawed around the time Prohibition came into effect. Local ordinances and state statutes made any sort of gambling illegal, and the law enforcement people seldom could think of a legitimate use for a token - if a business had tokens with their name on them, then that business surely must be doing something illegal was the line of thinking. So an anonymous number token could be explained a lot better than one with the business name and location on it. In practice, the "trade stimulators" that used these tokens were set up to accept coins only and pay out tokens only. The idea was that the tokens would immediately be redeemed in the business. Of course, it meant more profit to the business if the tokens walked out and never returned.
John in ID

J

JDSCOIN

I've found several tokens that are like that one.

One of them was found at an old railroad station. Someone told me that it was an old bar token, probably from the 1930's. There are so many different kinds of tokens, it is hard to be sure unless you are an expert in tokens. I like them, I save them, but I need to learn much more about them.

I always try to make note of where I find whatever I find. Sometimes, I think that can help too... especially if other tokens of the same kind are found in the same area, town or city. Then, maybe it was a local token. If so, then maybe someone can tell you where it was used.

JDSCOIN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread