token

tubs

Sep 9, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Gonna post a couple of old finds from a few years back. Any input or info ....Thanks.

Attachments

• dig, bottles, coin, dan 197.jpg
    dig, bottles, coin, dan 197.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
T

tubs

Sep 9, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Can't seem to find any info, town, date, etc.

Attachments

• dig, bottles, coin, dan 200.jpg
    dig, bottles, coin, dan 200.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 113

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
There is a token guy I could send a picture of this token to. He could tell you about it if it is a Mich. token. Is it and do ya want me too?

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Found this one from my token book. From Caro, MI. The dates of this one is 1889, but was most likely MADE by the same person or from similar dies to the Token you found.

The back is identical. The front appears nearly the same with exception to the name on the token. Of course, yours is good for 5c at the Bar. This one pictured is good for 5c in Trade.

Either way, most likely from the same era in time.

Attachments

• JakeHobson.jpg
    JakeHobson.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 130

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Adrian Erickson is listed as a saloon proprietor in Cadillac, MI from 1891-99. The name was spelled Erikson in the 1897 listing which is probably pretty close to when the token was issued.

Is this token made of aluminum or some sort of white metal?

OP
OP
T

tubs

Sep 9, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Thank You for the help ! Not sure what it is made of, looks like brass...copper...ish . The pics are old , they look kinda light, I will try and get better pics soon. Does your research give an address for the saloon ? What is a common material for tokens of that age ? Thanks again.

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
The early business directories such as the gazetteers almost never give street addresses except in the larger towns. I don't know where in Cadillac the saloon was located.

The token appears to be aluminum in the photos, but brass or white metal works better and is more likely. Aluminum is almost never seen on tokens issued prior to 1895.

This is only the third token I've ever seen that used this obverse die which means there is little information about when the die was in use.

OP
OP
T

tubs

Sep 9, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Deerhunter, good likeness on that Caro token, darn near the same. Like your pic, nice buck ! Thanks for the input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread