Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't know Dave... I'm not much of a gardener. But I know they can get pretty big if there like the ones I took off my Dad's plants. If ya find a big one I suggest loading your gun, then have a friend throw the worm into the air and fire off a couple shots. I know I'm now just being a smart ass. Let's move on.....

Oh, by the way... I sent a couple rounds your way today!!!!!

OP
OP
Dave44

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I have been throwing them to the birds, but I think you have a better game...... PULL!!!!

OP
OP
Dave44

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are hard to see for as big as they are, great cammo.
No kidding, I am sure someone might think I was a drooler, if I was close enough to the road! Sitting and staring at them. Sometimes when you find one you wonder why you missed if earlier!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may what to try Dawn dish soap in water, and spray the plants. This may help as it does help deter ants.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell quit messing around Dave... Get the 12 ga. out and load with 7 1/2 bird shot. The one with the sawed off barrel. I'd say around 7-8 shells should be good. Back off about say 40-50 ft. and broadside of your plants. Open fire sweeping from left to right. Then grab a beer and let the smoke clear. Any worm that survives that assault you just leave alone because there out of your league now.

Damn kids.... always making a mountain out of a mole hill.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave, it's been a long time since I've gardened; but I seem to remember using Sevin dust on them. Please, don't do this until you have checked it out! I believe it can be used in the early growth stages; and maybe later if the fruit is washed well before using. I just don't remember. I definitely do remember the looks of those creatures. Ugly and dangerous looking! Those horns always made me shy away from them. If I saw one, I'd flick it off the leaf and then step on it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
flame thrower dude

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
Ok, so I've been battling those guys for years... I tend to just look for tomato branches with no leaves and the "poo" trail to find them and squash them. My nine year old daughter likes to go on hunts for them which is good because her eyesight is much better than mine. Kindof gross when you step on one....

I had always thought mine were tobacco hornworms (which eat tomatoes too)
Manduca sexta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For some reason I'm under the impression that rotating my tomatoes to different parts of the garden each year helps keep the population down. I just read about their reproductive cycle though and I'm unclear on why that would work. BTW, I'm using raised beds, so the separation is very clear.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
This evening, just before sunset, go outside with your laptop and read them posts from the politics section.

They will all die laughing.

Haha ha... anyway, seriously now-

Just send them to Chicago-

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guinea fowl & pea fowl love em. Just ask my feathered friends. LOL!

OP
OP
Dave44

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guinea fowl & pea fowl love em. Just ask my feathered friends. LOL!

I have been debating bringing in some chickens, will they eat them without taking everything else? The only reason I don't use the flame thrower is that I love tomatoes so!

OP
OP
Dave44

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This evening, just before sunset, go outside with your laptop and read them posts from the politics section.

They will all die laughing.

Haha ha... anyway, seriously now-

Just send them to Chicago-

Surely you were informed of the Tnet rules about fight club? The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club. Unless you are in the fight club arena.

Wonder why that may be?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Your local e-newspaper doesn't have a politics section?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread