Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klondike here...

Several months ago someone asked about a geological structure they had found. What they described sounded like "Tombstone Slate"... a localized structure and "nick name" that marked the begining of the California gold fields.... as part of an extended trip into California to see friends and family and do some business during the holidays... took my wife and I through the gold fields of California.

Besides seeing family and friends, I mapped out a working gold mine with 2 portals, 3 levels and over a mile of underground workings....using the H3. They had existing levels at 30 feet, 100 feet and 200 feet....all following veins...actually the same vein... they had lost the main vein they were working on all levels and following it on the 30 foot level where the best gold had been found..... It had fauted away, seperated from the main vein and layed over nearly sideways plus it turned 90 degrees...very difficult to visualize whle underground...

Using my H3, found the vein for them... and maped several hundered feet of it...giving them a picture of what to expect underdround... Plus other veins and pockets of gold they didin't know existed...some they were within a few feet of....They used an excavator to confirm what the H3 indications were....and they found the top of the vein they were seeking...it was found about 20 below the surface...just where the H3 said it would be....I would offer pictures of all this, but due to their need for privacy, they woudn't alow me to take any pictures ... afraid someone could recognize the area and mine location.

Anyway...back to the Tombstone Slate.... attached are some pictures I took...you can see why it is called "Tombstone Slate"....there are several miles of these structures within view from several west to east highways... extending many miles along the north to south length of the mother lode country foot hills of the California gold fields...

Hope you enjoy and find these pictures interesting...Good luck to all and Merry Christmas....

Klondike..

Attachments

• TOMBSTONE SLATE 1.jpg
    TOMBSTONE SLATE 1.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 782
  • tombstone slate 2.jpg
    tombstone slate 2.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 730
Upvote 0

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: TOMBSONE SLATE....

Kind of looks like Merced/Mariposa county line..possiblily Catheys valley or Hornitos :icon_scratch:. I know that area is well known for gold and hard rock mining. Am I close :icon_scratch:... The tombstone slate is very nice when the lichen grows on it and the colors go from ornage to shades of yellow and green. Pretty cool... :hello2:

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very close....Relichunter1 ...... just outside of Merced.....And yes... the colors are great......

Klondike...

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

Thanks for the information on that type of deposit, looks very interesting. I love reading your stories.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pics, Ike. Are you aware that during gold rush days, The area between Angels Camp ( Celebrated Jumping frog of Calevares County) and Fourth Crossing, about 6 miles distance, were 400 registered claims? Now you know.... Stay thursty, my friend. (Hi Dave)TTC

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rawdog here...

Klondike I remember years ago you mentioned an old channel you were very fond of on the EF..You spent many a weekend there back in the day making a mess..never did find that channel..or have any luck where u took a coupke buckets near the EF DAM..

However i did discover mariposa and bought a mine in the area u speak of -the slate belt..if youre still around drop me a note ole fella

Rawdog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread