Tones????

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would run on factory presets for a little while before making changes.

The different tones gives you one more piece of information about the target. If you are hunting in an area where there is junk or deep targets then the different tones will possibly help you to ID a good target next to a junk one.

OP
OP
kshollywood

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The problem I am having is that I was running one of the factory presets and was curious so I put a half dime someone found on the ground and found out it didn't even pick the dime up. I was running that all day so now I wonder what I missed. So the next time I went I ran all metal and found 3 mini balls and a trigger guard of an old gun, I haven't identified the trigger gaurd yet.

OP
OP
kshollywood

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info, Mike from woodland detectors helped me out and gave me some really good advice, thanks Mike

OP
OP
kshollywood

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mike from woodland detectors helped me out, I bet his customer service is awesome!!!

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was sweep speed the root of the problem? I find that sweep speed is a huge issue if you are missing targets using a minelab.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I am not presently a Minelab user, but I would recommend three tones only.

Low for iron

Mid for aluminum and gold

High for coins

Of course, most folks will skip the low tones (unless you're a relic hunter) because its almost always garbage. Most folks dig the high tones because its almost always coins (or a large piece of deeply buried aluminum, like a crushed can).

As to the Mid tone, this is why I only recommend one.

If you want gold, you have to dig trash. You just cannot avoid it. Gold jewelry falls everywhere on the conductivity scale, so no matter how many mid tones you give the detector, it will all mean the same: nothing. You won't know if tone # 36 (for example) means gold or aluminum. You may dig fifty peices of can slaw at tone # 36, and if you refuse to dig the fifty-first signal, it will, of course, be a 14 karat gold ring with three garnets.

You cannot seperate out those mid tones to know what you are digging. I'm sure many have tried.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason that many people use the maximum amount of tones is that you train your ears to hear that distinct sound of deep silver. Even when your meter doesn't show it you can hear that it is there. Much of the time the meter and the tone ID do not match exactly especially on deep targets.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I'm not a fan of multiple tones. I can tell subtle differences in my good ole analog tone on my Tesoro Sidewinder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread