Tonights find gives me hope for the spring!

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
When I was a young man my family had a large farm near where I live now, my Mom had told me about an old home that was on what used to be our property that had been a part of a small farm that had been boughten by my Grandfather and later torn down. I was in the area tonght and still had my detector in my truck "praying for a thaw" so I thought I would walk the field and see if I could isolate the area where the house once stood. I arrived to find the field was soybean stubble and was cut very low so made it easy for swinging the machine, but covered in about 2 inches of that white stuff! I surveyed the field and seen what I thought was a slight rise in it so decided to start off in that area first.I had'nt gone far and got a hard copper type hit and with alot of effort,busted through about three inches of frozen ground to find a large copper strap of some sort. I continued get several junky signals indicating that much metal was in the ground and telling me I was on to something.I decided that I had found the house site and was heading for my warm truck when I hit another copper type signal and thought I would give it one last dig, maybe the last one of the year. I got about 4 inches down and finally pulled a real nice 1909 wheatie, man I hated to quit then! Its not a VDB or VDB-S but its proably the last coin I'll dig till spring and I sure cherish each one I get. Next spring I'll be back to this spot and see what other treasures lay waiting for me under this white blanket.

HH
Slipperyjack47

Attachments

• Picture 229.jpg
    Picture 229.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture 230.jpg
    Picture 230.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 173

DanMI

May 26, 2007
Nice find!! I bet spring can't come soon enough for you. I have a couple sites for spring too, but theres way more than 2 inches of the white stuff here!! HH Dan

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Seems like you found the right spot Jack....That's one nice looking Wheatie...doesn't look like it saw much circulation before it was lost...nice way to end the year...I'd wish you luck in the coming year, but I don't think you need it.. ;D....BTW...still got the head?...

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice wheatie, Jack. Sounds like a great spot to hunt once the ground warms up. Here's to a January thaw! :icon_sunny:

HH

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Jack!
Way to get out there and pick up that first year wheatie in the snow!
That should be a great spot when the snow goes and and the ground thaws! And before they plant more soybeans.

We have over 18 inches on the ground here now, season is over!
Mark

kibitzr

Dec 18, 2007
Niles,Mich
Detector(s) used
Expl SE, Excalibur ll, E-Trac, Whites V3
Very nice find Jack , I hope we get an early spring (2009) so you can hunt that site :thumbsup:
kib (John in Niles)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread