Tons of Civil War Relics!!!!! (Tons of Pictures Too!)

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TNET,

We haven't posted here in a while but I can reassure you that we have been digging but sadly with no real luck. This dry streak finally ended as our luck took a turn for the better over the weekend! We decided to detect one of those hunted out sites from our past but this time we found a spot that has always been passed over by the detectorists and it was loaded. The only downside was that for every relic you dug it seemed like you were digging three pieces of trash. In my opinion though for two hours!!! of diggin' this isn't too bad in my book. The best find or should I say finds all came from one single hole..... what was inside the hole was all of the contents of a soldiers catridge box including 38 round balls, 1 hand carved nipple protector, 1 Indian arrowhead (possibly for good luck), multiple pairs of cuff links, 1 tintype photograph pin but with the photo rusted off, and various brass rivets and such. Along with these great finds I also found a first, a civil war corp badge, which is the heart shaped piece of brass. Right next to this in a small section of land we found the remainder of the items like the powder flask, possible coin, confederate rosette, one and a half spurs, lead, and various other relics. Here are all the pictures (there are about 18 so please be patient as I will need to include a reply to include all of the images). I hope you enjoy what we found! ;D

We need your help with:
Any information on the specific powder flask (It is definitely civil war but we think it is to a colt revolver due to the dueling pistols at the top which is their trademark).
What is the relic in images 11 and 12 (It has the seal of the marines on the front but is lead filled on the back... possibly rosette??)
What is the coin in images 13 and 14 (At first we thought it could be an ID disc but it lacks the hole drilled in it. The reason for this guess is the horizontal bar on the back of it.. normally where the name is located or engraved. The bar is also the only truly recognizable mark I could pick out) Any help will be greatly appreciated.

HH-pitdiggers

Attachments

• Relic1.jpg
    Relic1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,400
  • Relic2.jpg
    Relic2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Relic3.jpg
    Relic3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,402
  • Relic4.jpg
    Relic4.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,382
  • Relic5.jpg
    Relic5.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,400
  • Relic6.jpg
    Relic6.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,402
  • Relic7.jpg
    Relic7.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Relic8.jpg
    Relic8.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,407
  • Relic9.jpg
    Relic9.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Relic10.jpg
    Relic10.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,399
  • Relic11.jpg
    Relic11.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,393
  • Relic12.jpg
    Relic12.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,430
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I like the lead nipple protector and the powder flask skin. :wink:

OP
OP
pitdiggers

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Awesome finds!!!I am looking for your powder flask in my research papers....I know I have seen it.Also I like the old fishing reel you found too!!!

Thank you, that would be great if you could find the powder flask, and the best part about the fishing reel is that it still works too!!

OP
OP
pitdiggers

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Nice finds. I like the lead nipple protector and the powder flask skin. :wink:

Thanks... personally I thought the powder flask was one of the best finds, since the only other ones I have found have had hunting motifs.

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a find. I would love to find one of the USMC pins. Man it would be nice. I am always looking out for something involving the Marines. Happy Hunting and good luck in your future digs.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W :o W !! Those are some tremendous finds. Congrats :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relics!! Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
OK...this may not garner a following...........but I think Banner. Finding the cartridge box and all those other relics is fantastic!

Baldingboy :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that fishing reel is crazy cool.-- the homemade nipple protector / rain guard is neat too.

humm with these items found all at once to lose all your bullets and personal items would be quite a blow -- wonder if the soldier who lost em might have been the owner of the "if found send this tag off to ID my body" the metal tag is for body id reasons --in case of death (some times the bodies rotted or were blown to bits )--the tag was in effect a early model "dog tag" if a person had one on them when their body was found for burial ---it insured that your body could be IDed and thus your insurance paid out to your family-- nothing could be more "personal" than that item is. --- I can not help wonder if the soldier that lost ithe tag-- if his body was left on a nearby feild till found and buried as "name unknown to all but god" because of its loss.

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds.....no more dry spell for you..."looks like you got rained on pretty well"

Wish I had that MARINE emblem......can you tell if the globe has North America or Europe on it. (a little had to see the upper part)

( N.America ----U.S......Europe-----British).... :thumbsup:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
is there any numbers or anyting on the fishing reel? awesome finds. i bet you cant wait to go back. willy.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
pitdiggers said:
MonkeyBoy said:
pitdiggers said:
crazyjarhead said:
Nice finds and relics especially that USMC lapell emblem. Love to find on of those :thumbsup:

Thanks and so that is what the relic with the marine emblem is. Thanks for the ID, we were not too sure as to what it was. HH

Should have ask the Jarhead you know!! ;-) It is a collar or Cover device.. very nice!!1

MB

Haha thanks MonkeyBoy!!

Sure,, an oh? Did I mention Great freaking finds!!! ;-)

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Awesome hunt!!!!
I would love a day like that...

OP
OP
pitdiggers

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baldingboy said:
OK...this may not garner a following...........but I think Banner. Finding the cartridge box and all those other relics is fantastic!

Baldingboy :thumbsup:

Thanks... I would love to see this find make the banner because just as you said finding the cartridge box and all of the other relics was just incredible ;D

OP
OP
pitdiggers

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stillgottawork said:
Very nice finds.....no more dry spell for you..."looks like you got rained on pretty well"

Wish I had that MARINE emblem......can you tell if the globe has North America or Europe on it. (a little had to see the upper part)

( N.America ----U.S......Europe-----British).... :thumbsup:

The globe has North America on it with South America below it. So my guess is that it is from the United States Marines.

OP
OP
pitdiggers

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dfx willy said:
is there any numbers or anyting on the fishing reel? awesome finds. i bet you cant wait to go back. willy.

The only other writing on the reel besides "Hendryx" is the patent date which say March 10, 1888. I can make out 1888 clearly but the March 10 is my best guess as for what the rest says, but it definitely says 1888.

OP
OP
pitdiggers

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone... I am glad you all are enjoying the relics and the story. And maybe this could be considered banner ::) HH-pitdiggers

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
that fishing reel is crazy cool.-- the homemade nipple protector / rain guard is neat too.

humm with these items found all at once to lose all your bullets and personal items would be quite a blow -- wonder if the soldier who lost em might have been the owner of the "if found send this tag off to ID my body" the metal tag is for body id reasons --in case of death (some times the bodies rotted or were blown to bits )--the tag was in effect a early model "dog tag" if a person had one on them when their body was found for burial ---it insured that your body could be IDed and thus your insurance paid out to your family-- nothing could be more "personal" than that item is. --- I can not help wonder if the soldier that lost ithe tag-- if his body was left on a nearby feild till found and buried as "name unknown to all but god" because of its loss.

My understanding is that these tags were post-CW.

And there are other post-CW and civilian items mixed in with the finds as well. :wink:

Great Stuff here!

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions