Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, this season and part of last season I've been experiencing a lot of random falsing. Sometimes every other swing. When it does this it only gives a signal in one direction but if I go back over it in either direction it will disappear for good. Never does this with a signal in both sweep directions {back and forth }. It's driving me crazy. A little history: Last year the coil went bad.It wouldn't even pick up a quarter from 2 inches away. Minelab sent me a new one. New coil works and picks up what it's supposed to but in between all the "real" signals is a lot of falsing. Coil cover has been removed, coil and cover both rinsed off. Battery is full bars. I just spoke with minelab they said send it in. You gotta be kidding me! I just sent it in this time last year { PRIME time to detect, all the cornfields were just harvested! }. I am going to try a factory reset for kicks.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil wire not wound proper and loose at the bottom, swing to fast and far tipping the coil at the end of the swing, iron halo (probably not if it is every swing), Not properly ground balanced, steel toe shoes.. can't think of anything else at the moment.

Very helpful reads
Truth About Search Coils
Halo Effect

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree with airscapes, a loose coil wire will definitely give you falsing on the swing. I have also first hand experienced falsing when wearing my boots instead of my sneakers (boots aren't steel toed; but, there is a metal manufacturers label on the lowest rung of shoe lace that was causing me falsing). I have also heard that keeping your cellphone in short/pants pocket may also interfere and cause slight falsing. Haven't ever tested to see whether its true or not since I keep the phone in the car when I go out....don't want to be bothered when I hunt!

-TwoYewts

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you mention that about the boots..just yesterday thought it was just that. I thought about what would be a common occurrence that goes along with every swing? My foot stride of course. So I tested this and made sure to keep my foot away from the coil, and it helped, but didn't make the issue go away. Seems to also give off a signal when slightly bumping the coil against cut cornstalks, or even having the coil perfectly flat against the soil and applying slight downward pressure. It's to the point where it makes me want to just search for arrowheads instead.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't wind the coil wire on a Safari. It's located inside the shaft and is tighter than dicks hatband.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Safari is a noisy machine in my experience. That is a good thing after you learn why or why I think it's happening. It seems to me that since the Safari or most Minelabs run in 28 frequencies it takes time for the machine to tell you it's what you discriminated out. That's why you have to swing slow..... I'm thinking some of the frequencies like the item but then most of the other think it should be discriminated out. Then more you swing over the item them more info it get and sometimes will just disappear all together. At least that has been my experience with my Safari, it might drive you nuts but it really is telling you a lot of info even if it's not what you want, only good signals. Hope this helps....

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do notice that in prime ideal ground conditions { soft and damp soil } it tends to be much more accurate. Start swinging on extremely hard compacted super dry soil and it tends to go nuts at times.

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a friend that had that same problem, had to put a piece of paper bund over a few times in the battery compartment to keep the battery still while swinging that may be the problem IDK???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread