tons of gold

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
29 May 2009

Ormskirk man could make millions after discovering historic shipwreck

An Ormskirk marine explorer stands to make millions of pounds after discovering the site of one of the most significant shipwrecks in British history.

Joe McCormack, 68, and his team of divers believe they have found what is left of a French vessel loaded with 426 tonnes of gold intended to help Bonnie Prince Charlie’s rebellion in 1746.

Their path to the discovery began 29 years ago when Joe was teaching his twin teenage sons to dive off the Anglesey coast.

His son Kevin found what they thought was a dress button but was later proved to be a priceless artefact, the ring seal of Mary Queen of Scots.

“It was an accidental find,” he said.

“We were just swimming and looking at different wreck sites. I was teaching my sons to dive and Kevin found the ring seal by a fluke.

“For six years it was left in a drawer because we just thought it was a dress button from a uniform.”

Eventually Joe had the disc examined by experts, who soon revealed its value.

“Mary Queen of Scots was Bonnie Prince Charlie's great-great-grandmother and our theory is that the seal was a 'token of authenticity' carried by an emissary on the relief vessel to demonstrate his credentials on meeting the Prince,” said Joe.

“It would have given the bearer an irrefutable badge of authority and proof to Charles that the ship's crew were genuine and not agents of the English Government.”

Joe and his son Kevin have now embarked on a five year project to bring the priceless haul to the surface.

“If this is right we are talking about billions of pounds,” he said.

“It was the largest shipment of gold ever recorded and the only person who could have put that together was the most powerful man on earth, Louis XV of France, and his friend was the Pope and we are talking about a Catholic war.

“The money was to pay wages, buy food, arms and shelter, not for a couple of weeks but for two years.

“We are not talking in terms of millions of pounds or billions, we are talking about tonnes. 426 tonnes of gold.

“Every member of this diving team will be a millionaire.”

He intends to donate Mary Queen of Scots’ ring seal to the Culloden museum, at the site of Bonnie Prince Charlie’s downfall.

“In historical terms it is priceless, it could be worth £1 million or £2 million but we are going to give it to the museum because it belongs to the Scottish people, it is their history

Pirate Diver

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
piratediver,

What a great story. It's amazing how long some projects take to develop. Good luck to them.

I lost my wallet in 1980 in Treardour Bay, Anglesea. I'll get in touch with these guys, and ask them to keep an eye out for it. The chances may be slim, but they are probably better than finding what they have found.

Mariner

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask the obvious question: What type of ship was afloat in the mid 1700's that could actually carry 426 tons of gold, plus men and supplies? No wonder it sank if the information is correct. It should be laying all about the site, you just can't hide 700 plus cubic feet of shiny gold metal that easily.

426 tons is about the weight of a fully loaded Boeing 747. Perhaps I'm over simplifying things but the facts aren't making much sense yet. This just sounds implausible.

I wish them the best of luck.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ScubaDude. I wish them the best but have some serious questions. Aside from those already asked, who even had that much gold available to actually lay out on an operation and why would they put all of it on a single ship even if they did have one that could hold it. It doesn't really make since from a logistical point of view and it's loss would have been a devastating blow to that country's economy.

Again though, my best to them.

Deepsix

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My exact thoughts, ScubaDude. Logistically, it's improbable. Knowing the unreliability of shipping in that time sheds doubt on the story as well. I haven't done any research, but it would make sense if a fleet were involved (still a huge amount for a fleet) versus counting on one ship to deliver the goods.

Other than that, I like the story :wink:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't see this one man recovering 426 tons of gold without someone else claiming it belongs to them. Like Scotland.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Or France. I don't think that property generally transfers ownership until it arrives at its destination. I wonder if this ship would come under the heading of a "Sovereign Vessel"? I think that a transfer of gold between Governments (or would-be Governments) would be classed as a non-commercial activity. I wondered the same, at the time, about the "Sussex", which was carrying gold from the British Government to a potential ally against Spain, but Odyssey had the sense to do a deal with the British Government before declaring where they had found that wreck. Have these people done any sort of deal with anybody?

And, on reflection, I agree with Scuba Dude. It's also a bit of a leap from finding a ring to identifying this supposed ship.

However, I hope it is all true.

Mariner

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Now that I've stopped laughing regarding the amount of the gold, I'll relate a true story regarding my kin and this 'treasure' or one similar to it.

There is a town named Tongue on the north coast of Scotland. Tongue's most significant moment in history came in early 1746 when the ship 'Hazard', en route for Inverness, fled into the Kyle of Tongue to evade the 'HMS Sheerness', a Royal Navy frigate. It was carrying over ÂŁ13,000 in gold coins to fund Bonnie Prince Charlie's rebellion, and its crew took the gold ashore in an effort to carry it overland to its destination. (Note the amount!!)
The Mackays were supporters of the government and their forces caught up with the crew of the Hazard next morning at Lochan Haken, near the southern end of the Kyle of Tongue. The gold was thrown into the loch by the crew before they were captured, though most of it was later recovered by the government. What adds significance is the story that when word of this reached Bonnie Prince Charlie he sent 1500 of his men north in an effort to regain the gold, and they were defeated en route. Some believe that had these men still been available a short time later at the Battle of Culloden the outcome might have been different. It is more likely that Culloden was so one-sided the missing troops would have made little difference, but who can say for sure?

Another fact is that on a local survey map dated in the early 1800s, the surveyors noted on their survey gold coins of the Prince Charles period were found at this Lochan (little lake). Suffice to say, the indigenous Scots at that time, who lived off the land, may never have seen a gold coin before they, fortunately, may have found a few in the lake.
Don.......

Source: http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...nce+Charles&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&ie=UTF-8
Don.....

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Now that I have read theTelegraph article posted by Jeff, this is all a lot clearer. The divers are from Liverpool. You know what scallies Scousers can be!

From one Scouser hoping that Everton win the FA Cup tomorrow. Come on, the Toffees !!

Mariner

Good story, Don.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariner said:
Now that I have read theTelegraph article posted by Jeff, this is all a lot clearer. The divers are from Liverpool. You know what scallies Scousers can be!

From one Scouser hoping that Everton win the FA Cup tomorrow. Come on, the Toffees !!

Mariner

Good story, Don.
Mariner, Everton might have a chance, with an Aussie up front and a Spaniard in the middle ;D

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Why make this public knowledge? I'd swim down and grab a few bars here and there whenever I'm low on cash. :D :D Donate SOME stuff to museums. Now's he's gotta get the government involved and all the legal stuff... Oh well...

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Hummmm......underwater cache hunting,,,,treasure legends....treasure in the news...underwater relics...interesting... BUT----am skeptical of these reports...but ,fun to think about.....yes, many,many tons of glitter for anything other than a Fleet... eventually we'll see.....

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Mariner, Everton might have a chance, with an Aussie up front and a Spaniard in the middle ;D

[/quote]
DAS7NY said:
Why make this public knowledge?

Ossie,

For a moment, I thought that DAS7NY was talking about the fact that we have an Aussie and a Spaniard playing for us, then I realized that he was talking about the Gold.

A great friend of mine, Dave Harding, with whom I played football at school, went on to play for Australia 45 times, and was in their 1974 World Cup Squad. A less-likely athlete you never saw, but a great player. We played in the same team for about seven years.

Keep those postings coming.

Mariner

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mariner very interesting, a man of many talents, I'm a Liverpool supporter ( Sorry ) Great game the
English invented. Go the Toffees.
This is why Napoleon lost the war, used the wrong balls ;D

Attachments

• 50950_s.jpg
    50950_s.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 662

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread