OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I just got a PM asking about how I got these leads, thought I would post my reply here for all to see- pretty good info for research ideas-

Well, the bulk of them I got lucky on- heres the story....

Back in the 60's a hippy couple traveled all around the state of Oregon checking out all the neat sites they could lay their hands on. Along the way, they did research and made careful notes. These notes and specific sites, they eventually turned into a map and tried to market it. They made 1000 copies and sold them at flea markets, etc. Most wound up in the trash eventually. I found an old copy in pretty good shape, but it was stained and faded. I finally got a hold of the guy who purchased the rights to the map, planning to make copies and market them which he never got around to, and as luck would have it, he had about 10 of the originals left in his garage, all brand new!

I have traveled to enough of these sites to know that the info is very accurate as far as location goes. Dead on. I've driven right to indian caves that you will not read about anywhere!

Most other leads I get from a local bookstore that buys and resells books from the public. I look for older books pertaining to my area. You would not believe the amount of information that gets left out of new maps and books! I think most of it comes from the idea of preserving these old sites, they don't want the general public to know about. When it comes to books and maps, the older, the better!

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
hi jeff - thanks for the comeback again. your maps sound interesting but i'll bet that i'm older than all of them ! if i get down that way again i will certainly remember your offer and try to work it out with you at that time. thanks again. wayne

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Man am I ever glad I decided to explore this site today. I am interested in ANY areas to either metal detect or prospect for gold and other treasures in Oregon!! I live in the greater Seattle area but I sit here today in Seaside Oregon, at my womans house, nursing busted ribs from falling backwards over a log while MDing the beach here. I have done a bit of prospecting on the Umpqua, the Illinois, Rogue, Cow creek, and coyote creek. I would love to find some places to MD for the heck of it. There IS gold in these rivers. I wonder what other treasures are out there waiting for me to find! I would appreciate ANY INFORMATION from anyone!

Thanks a lot,
~Nashoba~

Lovin' this site more by the day!

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nashoba said:
Man am I ever glad I decided to explore this site today. I am interested in ANY areas to either metal detect or prospect for gold and other treasures in Oregon!! I live in the greater Seattle area but I sit here today in Seaside Oregon, at my womans house, nursing busted ribs from falling backwards over a log while MDing the beach here. I have done a bit of prospecting on the Umpqua, the Illinois, Rogue, Cow creek, and coyote creek. I would love to find some places to MD for the heck of it. There IS gold in these rivers. I wonder what other treasures are out there waiting for me to find! I would appreciate ANY INFORMATION from anyone!

Thanks a lot,
~Nashoba~

Lovin' this site more by the day!

There was a Necotat indian camp on the former mouth of Neuauwa (sp?) Ck. and Necanicum R., probably under the current townsite. Onion Peak, to the south and a little inland, was a favorite hunting grounds for the indian tribes of the Seaside area.
A little south of you, in Smuggler's cove, intact whiskey bottles still being found from prohibition wreck.

N. of Smuggler's cove, at Cape Falcon, there are numerous small beaches that you can access from the north at extreme low tide. With all the shipwrecks in this vicinity, they may be worth checking out. These are seldom visited, for obvious reasons! Dangerous. Wait until you're in better shape.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
There was a Necotat indian camp on the former mouth of Neuauwa (sp?) Ck. and Necanicum R., probably under the current townsite. Onion Peak, to the south and a little inland, was a favorite hunting grounds for the indian tribes of the Seaside area.
A little south of you, in Smuggler's cove, intact whiskey bottles still being found from prohibition wreck.

N. of Smuggler's cove, at Cape Falcon, there are numerous small beaches that you can access from the north at extreme low tide. With all the shipwrecks in this vicinity, they may be worth checking out. These are seldom visited, for obvious reasons! Dangerous. Wait until you're in better shape.

Well thanks a bunch for the input! I have actually thought about those small beaches around smugglers cove and wondered...My guess is that it is the wrong time of year....Then again, if the tides get REAL low........grins.

Now you have me curious about Onion Peak. Lord knows what happens when I get curious!!!

I'll take anything else ya have to offer as well. I love old stories and the mysteries surrounding hidden or lost treasures!

Thanks a million,

~Nashoba~

nugets4me

Greenie
Oct 8, 2006
Albany,Or.
Jeffro ,
Long time no see after you left Toms site , kinda did the same, life changes , marriages ,deaths - all of those thing's . Really respected your insight on the other site. Had at one time planned to get together with about 6 years ago to hit the Calapooia and try to get a group to show the newbies
and others how to go get the gold . But as luck and former employer would have it (Weyerhauser) could not get it to happen! Maybe in the future we can sit down and chew the fat, got some sites also that I will share . If you want to email [email protected] , The left wing is healing now and just waiting to get started again searching for the yellow stuff!
Later

JG

Nov 15, 2006
Hey there Jeffro,
Jim here in the NW. I see you have read Binsford & Mort. I guess you have read the Ruby books, I have three myself.They sure published some good stuff. Am interested in history of the NW part of the state and am wondering if you have some info on the stage routes to Astoria from Portland? I have a map with the military road on it. Have any hunting trails for up here? The local Hysterical society has their knikkers in a bind and are not of much help. Do some TH'ng now and then, mostly coins but am always looking for HH the 9,999! Trying to get better historical maps. Listen to the trees fall in the woods-some storm out there today! Better get the chainsaw gassed up just in case. The deer are in the apples again!
Later,
Jim

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Most of the trails on my map are of Indian origin. The game trails and trade routes run from Astoria to Tillamook and from Portland to Tillamook. When they went from Astoria to Portland, it was generally by water. I assume the whites did as much, too.

Look up a book by Ralph Friedman, "In Search of Western Oregon". Its close to 800 pages of notes on every old road in western Oregon. Any of Mr. Friedman's books are invaluable to me.

The most historical route from Astoria to Portland generally follows US 30 and the section in this book is 17 pages long with notes on history every few miles.

nugets4me

Greenie
Oct 8, 2006
Albany,Or.
Hey Jeff sorry about not getting back and will do so at my real email ad.
Like I said about death and marriages etc. well it happened again ! Cousin got hit bout 4 weeks ago with stage 4 cancer . Passed on the 6th.

Other than that things are just wonderful , has it been bad down in lane county
with all stormin and such? How bad you think Brice and Sharps have been hit?

Got a buddy up here who has about a 160 acres of claims in that area! Kinda thinking some big Boulders have been moving .

So did you ever do that fish study , back about 5-7 years ago?

Any info on the Mohawk area ? You know all the same can't really say here things but just getting back at it!

Later
Jack

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
nugets4me said:
Hey Jeff sorry about not getting back and will do so at my real email ad.
Like I said about death and marriages etc. well it happened again ! Cousin got hit bout 4 weeks ago with stage 4 cancer . Passed on the 6th.

Ouch- I'm sorry to hear that.... :(

nugets4me said:
Other than that things are just wonderful , has it been bad down in lane county
with all stormin and such? How bad you think Brice and Sharps have been hit?

Got a buddy up here who has about a 160 acres of claims in that area! Kinda thinking some big Boulders have been moving .

Brice has been cleaned thoroughly, except for the hardpack on the sides where you can find it. Pulled some nice chunky nuggies out of there a time or two. AND what I thought was my first gold coin! Turns out it wasn't, but it sure made my heart skip a beat!

Sharps to me isn't worth it. 200 colors a pan and all of them together would fit on the head of a pin. Great for hardrock, bad for dredging.

Champion creek has been producing nicely in the last couple of years-

nugets4me said:
So did you ever do that fish study , back about 5-7 years ago?

That was for the Lampreys in the S. Umpqua, and I turned it down. Figured the data might could be used against miners.... 'nuff said.

nugets4me said:
Any info on the Mohawk area ? You know all the same can't really say here things but just getting back at it!

Later
Jack

Hmmmm... Mohawk area- I'll do some diggin around and see what I can come up with Jack. Course you got Mabel and Wendling right there, and an old camp up Shotgun creek, but those are pretty well known.
Banded agate, jasper and petrified wood on the Calapooia below Holley, of course.

On the McKenzie, just above where Camp creek comes in, many artifacts have been found near Mack valley on the edge of the plain. And at Camp Creek and the McKenzie there was an encampment back in the mid 1800s.

nugets4me

Greenie
Oct 8, 2006
Albany,Or.
Jeff have you recieved the photos of the boulders yet? Have you ever found any of that Holly Blue ? Got a few sites that some old friends might turn us on to! Just have to go under the guise of hunting with rifles or such!

One of these days will have to meet up and do some prospecting, maybe put on a little dredging adventure for the unknowing newbee's in the area that have not been baptized yet!

Got rid of the dredges a ways back , just sluicing, panning nowadays. Kinda had to get the house in order ya know. But will get a new dredge in a year or so plus a new Harley if the arm holds out . So in a nut shell I'm ready to get back out and start doing what I had to let go of , just have the got kick the old backside into gear after this winter.

Well hope you enjoy the photo's and if you feel like posting go ahead!

Later Jack

saleen87

Dec 2, 2005
La center,WA
jeffro
I live in la center WA.a few miles north of portland any good leads close to home would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to meet you if your ever in my neck of the woods.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Jeffro, great stuff on S. Oregon! I'd like to try those tailing piles on Coyote Creek! I'm from that area, and was actually just down on Wolf Creek a couple weeks ago. I love Southern Oregon, but live just north of you on 99 E. these days.

I'm a novice with my detector, but pretty decent with pan, sluice, etc. I've got my dredge permit, but no wetsuit, so none of that until warmer weather. Anyway, I'd be into getting out sometime. I'm always up for a bit of prospecting, but I'd also love to learn a bit more about using this detector of mine.

Take care.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hey there all-

Jack, I think I sent you an e-mail on this one, but I can't be sure... For some reason if you attach a pic my e-mail won't let me open it.... if you imbed in the text of the email, it comes right up. I dunno why...

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Eathan- That place on Coyote creek near Golden is called "Miller's Gulch". I like it, it looks promising, but I haven't found much there myself. I did see a three pennyweight nugget that came from there though. According to my source, they ran an especially fine screen in their bucketline, as there was gangs of fines, but not much big stuff. A lot of the the big stuff passed right through. There's a dinky little trickle of water running through there in the summer, I guess you could call it a creek, but I suspect the time to do anything serious down there would be in the fall and spring, when the water's really running. Of course, a detector's good all year round. ;)

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Saleen-

There is gangs of stuff near Portland, give me a day or two to get it somewhat organized (I'm working weekends) and I'll pass a few of the more promising ones off. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread