Too many people

kywildcat

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this great park to hunt in. It goes back to a dark time in Kentuckys history. The time of slavery. The park is surrounded by what is called a slave wall. Rocks pilled on top of each other to form a fence. The only problem is there are always kids in the park who want to know what im doing. I am very gracious and explain the hobby to them, but it takes time away from hunting. What would you do to handle this problem?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell the kids exactly what you are doing.... looking for things lost in the past. Get them interested. They will be tomorrow's hunters. Teach them right. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, don't show them what you find.... they can run faster than you can! TTC

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you really dont want to be bothered, you could keep your headphones on and not make eye contact. But most times I like to talk to people. You never know, they might have a great place to hunt.
Kids and early teens usually have parents around to talk to too and they own property!
Every contact is a source for a fresh hunting spot.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a very simple answer, and a method that has worked for me. Get your tired rear end out of that warm bed at first light (5am) and get into the park before anyone else gets there. By the time the other 20 metal detectorists in my area are up and drinking their coffee, I'm packing up my gear and smiling at the finds in my pouch.

Same goes for the beach. I'm looking for low tides at 6am and 5pm..

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
TerryC said:
Tell the kids exactly what you are doing.... looking for things lost in the past. Get them interested. They will be tomorrow's hunters. Teach them right. TTC

IMO I want less people out hunting.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
hand print-2_edited-3.jpg Tell them someone cut there foot on a sharp metal object so they sent you out to clean up the metal in the park. Tell them to watch out for sharp metal sticking out of the ground. They might just play somewhere else. Personally I don't do many parks.

K

Kentucky Kache

Tell them you're looking for a good place to bury the bodies.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you really dont want to be bothered, you could keep your headphones on and not make eye contact. But most times I like to talk to people. You never know, they might have a great place to hunt.
Kids and early teens usually have parents around to talk to too and they own property!
Every contact is a source for a fresh hunting spot.
This!....Marketing yourself is the key to new spots....Ok so Im a salesman....& yes I talk to alot of people!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very simple answer, and a method that has worked for me. Get your tired rear end out of that warm bed at first light (5am) and get into the park before anyone else gets there. By the time the other 20 metal detectorists in my area are up and drinking their coffee, I'm packing up my gear and smiling at the finds in my pouch.

Same goes for the beach. I'm looking for low tides at 6am and 5pm..

That is the ticket right there, there won't be any kid's follwing you around, from what I have learned from my past experience. Good luck..........Scott.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry has the best answer, avoid the crowds, go early. Works for me, plus it's cooler first thing in the morning.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry has the best answer, avoid the crowds, go early. Works for me, plus it's cooler first thing in the morning.
The REAL beach hunters are long gone by the time the sun comes up. They usually start about the time people are going home for the day! TTC

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit them with your shovel.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TICM, you say you don,t want more people detecting. Remember... "Strength in numbers." The fewer of us; the less voice we have. Majority rules. And on, and on. TimC

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
TimC said:
TICM, you say you don,t want more people detecting. Remember... "Strength in numbers." The fewer of us; the less voice we have. Majority rules. And on, and on. TimC

Sorry,let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions