Took A Brake From The Sports Fields

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
With all of this rain we have been having it has been too wet to go to the sports field, or should I say sports swamp. So Sunday since it wasn't raining some friends and I decided to go check out some cliffs behind my old high school. It was built in 1888, and when I attended school there, there were 2 grades in one room. My last year of high school was at a new one they built. Back in the "old days" they used to throw all of their trash over the cliff. Sure enough, all down the sides of the clff are broken bottles, rusted cans, broken pottery, and any other kind of junque they discarded.
We spent a couple of hours digging around finding mostly stuff from the 40's and 50's, but the further you dug back into the cliffs the older it got. We all came away with a few old bottles. I found an "Absolutly Pure Milk" bottle in perfect conditions along with some old glue and paste bottles. My friends found old soda bottles, ink bottles, and a few Indian artifacts. I mean there is a ton of this stuff there. Most bottles are broken from bouncing down the cliffs But there's alot that's not. Finally the mosquitoes got the best of us and we had to leave.
Later that evening we took all the kids to that sports field to let the play with our metal detectors. We figured since the sun had been out a day and a half that it had dried up enough for them to give it a try. They had a blast and found some clad along with a few small trinkets. I left knowing I would be back this morning to start what I hope is the best part of the field. This morning came, I went, and no more than 5 minutes after I got there it started to rain again. I didn't even get in one trip across the field, but.....I did find one more silver ring and a whole 15 cents. This rain is driving me crazy, and it's still raining. So now it will be a few more days before I get back to the field. All in all, it was a great weekend for everyone.

Attachments

• bottles.JPG
    bottles.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 388
  • ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 390
  • SPORTS FIELD.jpg
    SPORTS FIELD.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 391
Upvote 0
Cool digs, congrats!

You da man on taking the kiddies out searching.
I am totally impresses buddy and you are
my personal hero for the day. Best of luck PM!

Smiles!
BDoo

Nice bottles. I enjoy your posts. The diagrams you do are cool. How much time does it take to do that? Is this a superimposing of a gps or what. I am amazed at you and others with your sophisticated posts. I cant even figure out the quote thing, It takes the whole quote when I try it.

I haven't tried the qote thing but once and it did the whole thing,too. As far as the mapping of the area here is what you do:
Download Google Earth at http://earth.google.com/
From this you can find anywhere on Earth you want to look at and zoom in on that area. Once you get it how you want it, save it as a file (click on "FILE" top left of screen and choose "save to file") Then using Windows "Paint" program, you can add lines, measurements, text, or whatever you want. It really doesn't take that much time, and you can alter it as many times as you want and save it to the same file. Hopes this helps. If not, let me know.

You've got a great silver ring collection!! Need a few more gold ones now!!

Nice bottles. I too enjoy your posts.

DDE

Nice bottles! I would love to find an old dump here in Germany. HH, Mike

Wow, cool bottles..I can't believe you are still getting rain down in Austin..we had rain almost nonstop here in Dallas for over 3 weeks, but now the ground is as hard as cement...Gonna go hunt up north this weekend, they have been getting rain as well...hopefully the hunting will be better...
Baggins

Cool bottles ! It's always nice to find some glass for a change.I found a small dump spot on the ww1 site I usually work and it produced a nice little pile of bottles for me this spring.Aways enjoy your posts...keep it coming.God Bless and HH ...Panz

Cool old relic area you got there piggy...
Nice ring, is that an Irish ring?

Keep diggin'...

:o
Piggman, sorry to hear you have been getting rained out down there. Even a five minute hunt where silver turnes up is a heck of a lot better then no hunt at all. Wife and I love the bottles you dug up over the weekend Enjoy your post keep 'em coming and HH.

Desertfox and his Lady Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back