• fh.JPG
    fh.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Very nice assortment of hafted scrapers or "blunts" as they get called a lot- very nice. I don't think I've ever seen that many in one place at one time. The thick triangular darts are not darts though- knives, blanks/preforms but definitely not projectiles.

OP
OP
bruce

bruce

Dec 28, 2004
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Thanks Cannonman,

You are right those are a little large for that. Really didn't
know about them much I'll have to look them over again. Yes heard them called
blunts heard they were for knock down so they didn't put whole in pelt. Most of
them are resharpened one edge.

Thanks,
Bruce

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I don't think "blunts" were used to knock prey down so they didn't put a hole in the hide. I am all but certain that it's another old wives tale... some of the first farmers in this country found a lot of artifacts and simply had to draw their own conclusions.. and pass them down. In reality however these would have been able to only knock down very small game at best and just irritate the rest. I don't know about you but I'm not going to hunt squirrels to get perfect hides to make clothes.. I'll just go shoot a deer or buffalo or elk or whatever to make my garmets from. Knocking squirrels out of a tree with one of these just doesn't check out. What does make sense however is that raw materials might not always have been nearby so if something broke you would more than likely use what was left (within reason) to fashion other tools from and good sized atlatl points when broken would have made perfect hafted scrapers.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Nice grouping of hafted scrapers. I always enjoy finding these tools. I organize my finds by site but, have often thought about grouping them all together. Thanks for sharing.
Chuck

OP
OP
bruce

bruce

Dec 28, 2004
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Thanks Chuck,

This I do as well, These are from the same site 12-A-446
once you label them you can put them together. These photo are from
before. 90% of my collection is made up of 12-A-446.

Thanks,

Bruce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread