NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!
Thought I would share something with you all to help expand your allotted metal detecting time and finds. Some of the areas I have most wanted to hunt were, well, unhuntabe for the most part. The parameters of basketball courts in the park...the edges of sidewalks...the "tight spots" in the tot lots...those places where re-bar and concrete meet or there is too much steel in the vicinity to detect anything. Yet those same places...especially the parameters of courts and sidewalks, are where most of the stuff falls...it doesn't get walked on so it stays "high" for a long time, yet it's still tucked away where it can't get kicked around or picked up by mowers and such. So I came up with something that when used with one of my other goofy gadgets has panned out real well. I am over 80 bucks in clad and 2 rings so far this year just from my walking the dog time. And it's only February...
Anyway, all I did was strap my pinpointer to the end of a cane. It doesn't go deep enough to pick up any rebar in the concrete, or the wire mesh if they used any. It gets within 3 inches of metal poles in the tot lots. It doesn't go deep, but it doesn't have to because stuff in those areas doesn't sink very fast. Along with that, I have posted a pic of a digging tool I made last year that has worked out VERY well. I normally use it while detecting...if my pinpointer can pick it up, then this is what I grab to pry/pull out the object. In essence, I dig probably at least 50% fewer holes...and every time I get to use this thing my recovery time for the item is under 15 seconds...and I'm back on my way :)
Oh yes...and since I "invented" these things, I get to name them, right? :) I dub the cane a "Murphcrutch" and the pry tool to be a "Murphy fork". There. My family name finally has a legacy besides "Murphy's Law"
Anyway, should you decide to give them a go, I wish you the best of luck!!!

Attachments

• cane handle2.jpg
    cane handle2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 321
  • pinpointer strapped2.jpg
    pinpointer strapped2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 672
  • dig tool2.jpg
    dig tool2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 338

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ideas Murph. I like the dig tool. It looks oddly familiar- like an electric charcoal starter. Whatever works! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually a cut off prybar, a couple of cut off pieces of conduit, some jb weld and a couple of cut off ground down butterknives for tongs :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread