Tools Thread With Explanation Needed

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
Hey guys and gals. As suggested by another remember I was hoping those of you might be able to list some tools with explanations on here so I could do some research in that department. I have been hunting for a long time but just this past year really got into that end of it. I have a lot to learn about the stone tools that are not chert like especially. Thanks any and all would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here are a few I have found.
A lot of these items I would have not kept when I first started hunting. I would have just considered them flakes or blanks or messed up. But each one is/was a tool and easy to miss. Some are what an Archaeologist told me expedient expendable tools made quickly maybe for a specific task at hand and discarded. I liked that!
Hope this helps.
100_3107.JPG
This is a scraper. Blunt on one end sharp on the other. It is square.
100_3108.JPG
Scraper again. It would easily skin out any deer or animal.They made many styles and maybe someone will show some other types.
100_3109.JPG
100_3111.JPG
This just looks like an arrowhead gone bad. Turn it over and you see a worked edge on each side. It is a quick made common uni faced knife used in all time frames.
100_3112.JPG
An easy tool to miss. It is worked on the right side only of each side. It is a punch/awl/graver.
100_3115.JPG
Kinda look like unfinished arrowheads or blanks. They are adzes a chopping tool held in the hand.
100_3116.JPG
Another adze maybe used like a camp axe. Easy to make.
100_3117.JPG
Looks like a round rock. It is a flint spall that was used to pressure Knapp and grind edges of arrowheads. They used the core cause it would grab the material to pop off flakes.

Have fun the tools are interesting and often overlooked because they are not worth much or very pretty. Hope this helps..
HH
TnMtns

F

Felinepeachy

Would you like me to see if Marc can make a sub category called "Tools"?

OP
OP
R

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
Any category with tools would be great. I just think anyone can find a point but tools is what I really want to learn about. I think if people quit hunting arrow heads and start hunting artifacts we all would see a lot more of them. It took me many years to do this myself so now I'm playing catch up. I would love to see any and all. Does anyone have any that are made not out of flint/chert to post with explanations?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Would you like me to see if Marc can make a sub category called "Tools"?

No. Tools fall under "American Indian Artifacts" . Nothing says just arrowhead. You guys have it right already but thank you though Felinepeachy.
Rockoligist is this what you were looking for? I am sure Larson or Thirty7 can show you a bunch of diffrent type tools. Humpback scrapers. bone awls hammerstone, morters, pestles and such,, If they don't post I will post some .
Good topic!!

OP
OP
R

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
Yes and no I have many of the chert/flint tools but seeing them with a explanation is great. The other thing im really looking for is stuff made out of other things such as slate, shell, limestone etc. I think we all can see the chert when we are looking but the non chert most cant tell if its a geo or artifact. From what I have seen anyway. I had always ran with a crowd that if it was not flint it was not indian. I know that not to be true and would love to see any and all with explanations so I can learn the tool end. Thanks guys and gals

brent

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worked limestone pieces. Use unknown. Maybe digging tools :dontknow: Maybe just rocks :sign13:

Attachments

• 100_3119.JPG
    100_3119.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
R

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
That swhat im talking about thats the kind of stuff I spend most of my time picking up now just wish I knew more about them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread