Tooth & Disc

Hawkeye35

Feb 16, 2014
Found this about 15 years ago in on a golf course in SC. They were putting in a pipeline and had dug a trench about 8' deep. It almost looks as if it's fresh. I also found this disc. I would like to know what kind of shark this came from and if possible what creature the disc might be from. Thanks!

800IMG_3005.jpg 800IMG_3007.jpg 800IMG_3006.jpg

800IMG_2999.jpg 800IMG_3003.jpg 800IMG_3004.jpg

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome sharks tooth, and it is in super condition. :icon_thumleft: Cool Find! You may want to show/tell us what the size is.

OP
OP
H

Hawkeye35

Feb 16, 2014
The tooth measure 2.25 diagonally on the longest side and it weighs 14 grams. While I'm at it, here is the rest of my small collection. All found on the same day in the same place. I don't know what any of them are except the largest one which I'm sure is a megalodon.

collection.JPG

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large one looks like another Angustidens only it has the cusps broken off... They all look to be the same species except for the two on the end. They Look like maybe a crocodile tooth and maybe a lemon shark tooth... Or a small Mako lower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hawkeye35

Feb 16, 2014
Really? I've been thinking they were all different species all this time. I don't know it took me so long to post em' online and have them properly identified.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They'll have slightly different shapes(angels) depending on where they're situated in the jaw. Look up Blackriverfossils on YouTube.. He's from your area and finds alot of those.. You should see some real good examples

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I think that Carcharocles angustidens is a reasonable identification, though without the lateral cusps, it is indistinguishable from the somewhat later C. megalodon. Furthermore, there is some confusion in the taxonomy of these megatooth sharks. But, collectors know what you're talking about when you say "angustidens." More info at elasmo.com

As for the shark vertebral centrum, it is of the scyliorhinoid type. I think that's right for Carcharocles, but I'm not absolutely certain. Something for you to research.
shark_auriculatussynonomy.jpg fishsharkvertebrae.JPG

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. Seems any where u dig in South Carolina your bound to hit some fossil gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread