Tooth ID help

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this on the Ashley River in SC. Any ideas on what type tooth it might be? I was initially thinking maybe a broken shark tooth, but it's pretty rounded and thinner at the root. Who knows [emoji16]. I'd love to hear some ideas! Thanks ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428008922.083667.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428008945.580027.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428008966.916943.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428008986.289214.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm pretty sure its not a tooth

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes these are real tough in photos but it does remind me of an armadillo claw core

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the back side of the wide end look like? Does it look like almost a knuckle joint?

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I have been looking 99% of the fossils are black ( guessing that just the sediment ( phosphate beds) so this stood out. I found some itty bitty shark teeth and a bunch of bone bits. Guessing mostly whale, dugong. I honestly don't know the first thing on fossils other than the little I have read and found online. I don't want to be a pain in the ass and post a million "help" discussions. Have you come across many dugong teeth? I think I may have one... Kinda along the line of horse teeth? Grazer teeth? Any way. I appreciate your help Gator Boy! I have seen a lot of your posts, sweet collection [emoji1]

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will see if o can get a better pic. It's hard to describe.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds awesome post away! You live in a great area for fossil hunting most of the stuff I find is black or dark grey also

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a tough one and has a lot of wear to it still the fibrousness..." not sure if that's a word".. of it makes me think claw core

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe, my initial guess would be no. It doesn't have a curve to it. It's flared out at the top (root?) not a big deal. I may stay a mystery lol.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yowza.. Looks like a nice find to me I think that very well may be a mammoth milk tooth

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YOWZA [emoji2]. That would kick ass! Same beach. I have been trying to find similar teeth online and it just didn't quite match up with the grazers I could find. Can you give me any suggestions for good resources for a beginner? Thanks a bunch!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem I love this stuff.
You could spend a lot of time filtering through information all over the internet but I think it would probably serve you better to look at the fossil forum and specifically your area

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funky...
At first I thought maybe coral but looking closer I think it might be a piece of fossil sediment.. It was probably full of decomposing biological matter that created gas bubbles.
......... I think... ..

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool. It's got a cool look. Thanks. Good luck fishing [emoji6]