Top 10 Finds of your life

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/ Sunray Probe, Ace 250
I am really curious about what you guys have found in Illinois and elsewhere. I'm too lazy to go read everyones past posts. What are your best finds? (pics please!). I only have 10 hours of hunting in and haven't found much but here are my favorites:

1964 rosie
silveredit.jpg
(2) 1919 wheaties
1964.jpg
(2) 1947 D's, 1954 D wheaties
1919.jpg
100 pesos
wheats.jpg
cincos centavos
100.jpg
bahamas cent
centos.jpg
turbo firebird
bahamas.jpg
partial 1958 6 1/2 fl. oz. Pepsi bottle
firebird.jpg

all of the above were found in my backyard and on my first hunt except for the car and bottle found on my 2nd and 3rd.

name plate for theater chair at nearby castle
pepsi.jpg
The cool thing about this is that I had their daughter for finance insurance and law.. and all 3 of them still teach there to my knowledge. I have been meaning to send them an email. It's weird that I found it directly over the castle property fence at an adjoining park.

last one is the silver dime I found on the floor at work
dedication.jpg

also forgot this slaymaker padlock in my backyard from the 50s
silveredit.jpg

Attachments

• slaymaker.jpg
    slaymaker.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 190

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
This copy of the Constitution was authorized in 1847, two thousand copies ordered for distribution among the houses of congress. Additionally 10,000 copies were ordered in the next printing(s) for distribution among constuituents. This copy is from the 1855 printing.

It lists all those who had served in the three branches up to that point, has many of George Washington's writings and inaugurals addresses from many of the previous presidents. It also contains very good analysis of consitutional matters by the framers and subsequent individuals.

Unfortunately you cannot read it and come out with anything but contempt for what passes as governance today. Considering the period it came from, pre-Lincoln and post-Jackson and as many of it's contributors were children of the framers and their contemporaries, it is a death warrant for the current government and the policies of at least the last 20 years. Unfortunately we're too deluded to serve any such warrants.

I found it merely hours before the wrecking ball took to the house it was in, with permission from the owners of course. It is one of my all time favorite finds.

Next on my list is any coin NOT among the currency of idolitry. Somewhere in time someone decided our money should skip the ideals of Liberty and go into the cult of personality, featuring idols instead of ideals. C'mon now, I know we all say things like "can't happen here" but you really think there won't be a Michael Jackson coin in circulation one day? Yeah, and when that happens, I'll be fixin' to serve that warrant.

Happy huntin'!

Attachments

• coninset1.jpg
    coninset1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 202
  • concover.jpg
    concover.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 209
OP
OP
S

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
That's an awesome find! Reminds me that I need to ask permission to go through an abandoned house I found in the country (I've already done a walk through and there are a lot of antiques).

Also fixed the photo sizes, couldn't stand looking at that format.

I know my finds suck but hopefully after I get an Etrac I will have some better stuff to show ;)

I actually thought that 100 pesos piece was gold when I first saw it, now I really want a gold coin.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
LB that was one hell of a find. Glad you could save it.

As far as finds are concerned, I guess my top 10 in no particular order (other than the gold antique ring which tops the list)

19th century 18K gold ring with a 1K diamond and 2 garnets.
1924D SLQ in very good condition. (First silver found with Etrac)
1901 Barber Quarter in mint condition It was my first barber quarter. (wish it had had an S mintmark, it would have went to auction for about 30K)
1845 Large cent
160 quarter cache found in L.A. when I worked there. To bad they werent silver
1876CC seated dime
Two great hunting buddies. GOIO and Dirtfishing Dave
3 walking liberty halves (found in 3 separate locations)
1 gold earring
All my other silver that I found last year that made hunting so fun.

Attachments

• DSC00353.JPG
    DSC00353.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Large cent f.jpg
    Large cent f.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC00353.JPG
    DSC00353.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Large cent f.jpg
    Large cent f.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 195

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Lowbatts said:
Next on my list is any coin NOT among the currency of idolitry. Somewhere in time someone decided our money should skip the ideals of Liberty and go into the cult of personality, featuring idols instead of ideals. C'mon now, I know we all say things like "can't happen here" but you really think there won't be a Michael Jackson coin in circulation one day? Yeah, and when that happens, I'll be fixin' to serve that warrant.

Nice way of putting it! My sentiments exactly. That copy of the constitution is awesome!

I'll list w/out picks; since I've only been detecting for 10 months, nothing too ground shattering (like the pun?):

1840s-1860's Pistol yet to be identified (posted last month)
1775 Carolus III 2 Reale coin
1826 Large Cent
1906 Barber Dime (this was my first Barber last July)
1942-d Merc in Uncirculated condition w/ no tarnish and full mint luster (it was my first merc and 2nd silver)
1927 Merc in uncirculated condition and full mint luster w/ slight toning (2nd merc/3rd silver)
1890's trade/slot token
14 k gold ring
1900 Barber dime (first silver found with my E-trac in December/ switched from Fisher)
1959-d Rosie (It was my first silver found last May -- I have several better silvers not listed, but I'll include it as it was my first)

I am still waiting on a silver quarter -- I've found several mercs, rosies, barber dimes, no silver quarters :angry5: :angry5: Etrac 007's fault.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
snowmanfromtexas said:
1924D SLQ in very good condition. (First silver found with Etrac)

Very Good condition is a low grade. Without seeing that coin in person/ not seeing it's reverse it's hard to say, but I'd say that's Extra-fine to About Uncirculated condition. The 2 high points (knee on exposed leg and emblem on shield) show little wear if any in your photo. I am being conservative in my grading since I haven't seen the coin.

Here is an example of a standing liberty in Very Good condition (VG-8):
VG10.jpg

In Extra-fine (EF-45)
XF45.jpg

Choice Almost Uncirculated (AU -55 note there is a lower AU-50 'almost Unc grade)
AU55.jpg

What is hard for me to tell from your photo is the detail inside the emblem, but sometimes this wasn't due to circulation but strikes from the mint that didn't show as much detail.
That's a nice coin you have.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
ALL SLQ's are real beauties!

M

MR Senior L4S

Starting from my # 3 , if recive red cart ,I promise not to post # 2 and #1 , Its winter so what?

Attachments

• DSC06684.JPG
    DSC06684.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC06683.JPG
    DSC06683.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC06682.JPG
    DSC06682.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC06681.JPG
    DSC06681.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC06685.JPG
    DSC06685.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC06686.JPG
    DSC06686.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
S

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
I want them all!! that's a sweet large cent you got there! p2c, did you find that 1775 in Illinois? MR Senior, what the.. ? :o How old are those coins, and is that a gold one in the 2nd pic? Where do you find something like that? It seems like one of those would be a lifetime find. I guess there are countries with a lot more history than the US.

Thanks Ted! I think I'll be a lot more productive with the Etrac. Plus, I haven't hunted any old sites yet.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Snowskate,
The 1775 came from Ohio, but I am sure you can find Reales maybe not quite that old at farmsteads in central IL. They were used as legal currency in the US up to 1850's and our silver coinage system was initially based off the weights of the Spanish system -- it's where we get the term 2 bits for a quarter because 8 reale coins were cut into 8 pie pieces and the 2 "bits" (2 reales) were equivalent to a quarter. They made 1, 2, 4, 8 and 1/2 reale coins.

It is funny I saw a newspaper clipping from the town I found the 2 Reale in (from early 1900's) that was talking about the history of the place and the the fee for joining some sort of club was 6 1/2 cents in the 1850's (i.e. a half reale, which is confirmation reals were used then and also a reason why we had a 1/2 cent coin)

M

MR Senior L4S

snowskate said:
I want them all!! that's a sweet large cent you got there! p2c, did you find that 1775 in Illinois? MR Senior, what the.. ? :o How old are those coins, and is that a gold one in the 2nd pic? Where do you find something like that? It seems like one of those would be a lifetime find. I guess there are countries with a lot more history than the US.////////// area 1yard X 1 yard , 3 culture layers , first 2 silver dirhems 380BC , second - boristhenes 260 BC + 2 rings , 3-rd oldest over 60cm VI- V BC. -3 obols with delphin and eagle ( 8psc-2sold) , 8 -1 obols(2 sold) , one 5 obols v rare 300grams , and 7 obols , 7pigs(smal ) = 1 big, must be over 400lb. ( this is value you can posses those pigs ). 22 pcs. of gold (save 14 ) incl. one 1/6 starter ., and one 78gr. oldest obol (obeole) VII-VI BC. It was 1996 sout of Odessa (Black See ) . From this site are my # 5 and #6 . ///// #1 is from Gatemala , #2 from Poland , #4 ( cobs ) from S, Car. US ,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread