Top 10 Memorial Day Metal Detecting Beach Facts

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  1. People are easy to move around as long as they're standing motionless in the current and surf.

2. Nobody will gather around close to talk to you until you've just gotten that perfect tone in the rough surf.
  3. If you are moving in a straight line kids will always get in front of you so they can see what you're doing and watch where you're going.
  4. Expect, “What's the best thing you've ever found” at least 1000 times.
  5. If there is a visiting French guy in a Speedo he will want to stand next to you, like you're the best of buddies, so his wife can take a picture, and probably for facebook.

6. If you are the first vehicle parked on the beach in the morning the second car on the beach that morning will park right next to you so closely that you can't get your vehicle door open.

7. If you spot a section of open beach to hunt it will only remain open until you get there.
  8. Pull tabs and bottle caps always bread and spawn on Memorial Day weekend.
  9. Someone will always want you to try to find that item they lost, “Somewhere way out there.” My standard reply being, “Hey, try that guy down there. Apparently I can't even find the stuff that's been lost right here.” Or, “Would love to help but I'm just one recovery away from my legal limit and I'm not allowed to drown that far off the beach.”
  10. That parking spot on the other side of your vehicle, the most annoying people on the beach will park there.

And so goes another Memorial Day weekend of beach detecting. Can't wait to do it all over again next year. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude how the heck do you know how my life goes! Especially parking too close to my truck, being annoying, and find what I tell you I lost ...but not really! Got'a love it! Life in the hilarious lane!!!!!:tongue3: :laughing7:

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, done that.... and can't wait to do it again!!!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's where dead fish come in handy!

2Peas

May 26, 2014
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You forgot to add....the beach will be trashed, everyone will leave their garbage, the trash cans will be overflowing, hundreds of bottle caps and beer cans will be buried in the sand.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I went to the river Saturday, it was crowded. I got as far away from everybody as I could and two boys jumped in the water near me. Started helping me look thru my sifter. The oldest boy said I heard you found a gold ring today and I replied yes I did. Can I see it? No, I give it to the wife of the man who lost it under their boat house. Then he got his foot on my scoop which always is something I try to prevent. What's that? A scoop. Thankfully he didn't injure his foot and I get stuck with a medical bill. Everybody wanted to know what I found after it got around I found a gold ring. I showed a few of them how to work my detector and then went and changed into some dry clothes and headed home. From now on, I intend to hit this spot during the weekday and early in the morning before the crowd. Hope all those hundreds of people there this long Memorial Day weekend left me some gold and silver.

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually just say Ive found a 6 pack of beer. One crushed used can at a time. (which is general true, all buried 8 inches or more underground. But the tone in my ear just sounds so good before the disappointment)

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
minelab Sov. GT, minelab Excal II, Fisher CZ21, minelab Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
# 4 ... Expect, “What's the best thing you've ever found” ?
My reply : Nov. 1, 1969 I found my wife !!
:hello2:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL @ fongu. About a year ago, a girl I was desperately trying to avoid, she was playing and all over the place, well,
after I went by, I feel her kick my scoop that was dragging behind me. I hear her yell, "Mom, that lady just hit me with her scoop".
The mom yelled back, "No she didn't, I watched you walk right in to it, yourself. Now get away from her". I was so glad her mom had been watching.
I've hit that left outside ankle bone of mine enough....... :BangHead: I tell them kids to get back, all the time.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was almost 20 feet from the dock and these two boys jumped in and were on top of me before I could move. Young people move a lot faster than adults. I do usually tell them to stay back, but these two boys were super fast. Glad their Mom was watching and didn't let them get away with their tall tale. I had a Mom about a year ago watch her kids harass me and they were completely out of line, but she sat on her beach towel and sunbathed. I felt like she needed the board of correction worse than the kids, because they obviously hadn't been taught any manners. If I had a wetsuit, I would be there at 6 am in the morning and gone by 11 or 12 when the swimmers start drifting in. HH.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was using a Hookha dive rig near a dock in 12 ft of water when two feet landed near my head. I reached out and grabbed the teen by the ankle. I hit the surface right behind that kid. I was mad because they could have injured me had he landed on my head or back. I instructed them to the back of the dock for a little show & tell. From my pouch, I removed an 8 inch filet knife that was found lodge in the bottom point up. Had anyone landed on it, it would have ended badly. I placed several broken beer bottle bases with assorted broken glass pieces. One lad said one of his friends had gashed the bottom of his foot. After that they respected what I was doing making it safer for them.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "never" drag my scoop on a crowded beach. The thing is always up over my shoulder out of the way. As Fongu said, kids just move way too fast and the surf just sometimes inspires people to move way too fast. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread