Top Ten New Detectorist Mistakes

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was asked recently by a writer, about the most common mistakes new treasure hunters make. Here is my top ten new hobbyist mistakes. What would your top ten include?

10) Too much reliance on peer advice and suggestion.

9) Not thinking ‘outside the box’ when looking for possible detecting spots.

8) Not carrying extra parts – i.e. coil bolts, straps, extra headphones.

7) Not willing to devote enough time to become proficient.

6) Insufficient hunting site research.

5) Unrealistic expectations.

4) Ineffective search patterns and technique.

3) Lack of physical preparedness.

2) Making rushed, wrong, or ill-informed equipment purchases.

1) Trying to find the cheapest deal instead of the best service and equipment.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7) Not willing to devote enough time to become proficient.

Probably should be no 1.

It takes time and digging to get to know your detector. And some are much easier to use than others.

I still am more efficient with my Tesoro Golden Sabre than any I've used since - I developed a system that worked well for me.

I hunt with the discrimination turned up just to a carefully tuned pull tab reject, when I got a signal, turn the dial down until the signal disappeared.

Quick and dirty.

I've moved on because I think the GTI 2500 and Infinium have more potential, but I'm still learning them.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The biggest thing I would add to you list is:

Learn how to recover a target without ruining the grass.

The city parks here are off limits now because one guy dug holes as big around as basket balls and left dead splotches of grass all over the parks. Common sense and common courtesy should be number 1 in my opinion.

HH Charlie

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think #5 on your list is a big one. I was one of the ones that spent a bunch of money at one time on detecting gear ,went out in to the gulf and almost drown and did not hunt again for several years.
It is actually work in some cases to find something but as soon as you get a good dig you forget about all of the work that went into it. :coffee2:

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think 10, 7, 5 and 2 equals someone that thinks the next higher cost detector with all the bells and whistles is going to help them find that great find, only to be disappointed they still haven't found it.

S

stefen

You're right on the mark...

And it really doesn't matter what order the mistakes are placed... :thumbsup:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd include buying too complex of a machine to start off with.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
not putting the time in to learn the machine you have. I've heard it said that you need at least 100 hours and have found that it's true. And I'm still learning it. You'll know when it's time to upgrade....when the finds from your 1st machine completely pay for your second machine. My ACE 250 paid for a sniper coil, a Garrett propointer, headphones, and a new Vaquero. The Vaquero paid for a 2nd Garrett propointer. This really is a self sustaining hobby. It may not support you but it definitely supports itself.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, I see some older dudes that look like they've been doing it forever at the beach that have horrible technique. They swing their coil in a large arch away from the sand and fail to keep the coil even remotely parallel to the surface. I have seen many beach combers detect this way. They also don't cover 50 percent of their previous pass. What's with all the horrible technique out there?

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you only do 1 thing make sure it's bring extra batteries.

I forgot batteries one time when I drove to a park 40 minutes away and 15 minutes into the hunt my batteries died.

The hunt was over... >:(

I'm also a firm believer of dig neatly no matter where you dig and always fill your holes. Even in the woods.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am still new do this and i argee with digging plugs without killing grass is a big deal so i dont dig in parks yet till i get it down , lots of practice in my own yard with a cheap flower box spade till i can afford the right tool

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nsdq said:
i am still new do this and i argee with digging plugs without killing grass is a big deal

A pin pointer is a huge addition, will prevent that and save time and effort.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

I noticed that know one metioned headphones, proberbly as important as the detector itself, no1 for me to new comers, would be dig every target.

SS

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
nsdq said:
i am still new do this and i argee with digging plugs without killing grass is a big deal

A pin pointer is a huge addition, will prevent that and save time and effort.
yes but need $$$ first it is not easy finding work as a disabled vet

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bearbqd said:
I dunno, I see some older dudes that look like they've been doing it forever at the beach that have horrible technique. They swing their coil in a large arch away from the sand and fail to keep the coil even remotely parallel to the surface. I have seen many beach combers detect this way. They also don't cover 50 percent of their previous pass. What's with all the horrible technique out there?
I notice the same thing, guys that have been detecting for years, swinging like they are using a swingblade to cut weeds. Their coils never get closer than 3 inches above the ground, and at the end of the swing the coil is sideways, shooting a signal into thin air. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Here's a card I made that I review from time to time....

-USE HEADPHONES-it tones outside noises “off” and inside noises “on” & stops others from hearing your detector and also discourages "dumb questions".
-SLOW DOWN—THIS AIN’T GOLF...stop missing the targets
-KEEP YOUR COIL ON THE GROUND-1” off the ground is 1” lost in depth
-SHORTEN YOUR SWING TO KEEP THE COIL PARALLEL TO THE GROUND
-USE MINIMUM DISCRIMINATION…. & MAXIMUM SENSITIVITY
-OVERLAP YOUR SWINGS-the bottom of the electrical search pattern is only 2”
-HUNT WHEN THE GROUND IS WET for more depth & conductivity
-GO AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN-100+ hours of hunting will change your toy into a serious target hunter

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with a few suggestions.

Not the proper recovery technique nor the ethics to remove the damn trash.

Galactic expectations. (I have had people call and ask if they could support themselves on their finds. Yeah if you enjoy eating pull tabs and zinc pennies)

Not understanding that this is really a skill that is learned not only a matter of luck. (learn your machine) Luck does play a role but only after your skill has raised to a certain level.

This hobby is really a crazy experience. It seemed like it took for ever to find a silver coin.

Some people can handle a complicated machine right off the bat. My first machine required manual ground balance. Yeah It took me a while to understand it fully but I had so much invested that I made it work.

Headphones. GET SOME. No one wants to hear your machine while they are having a picnic. You also don't want to attract every obnoxious kid within 40 miles.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Right on Terry!
Top of my list is failure to adhere to the words of whatever mentoring you can get. It covers a lot of ground, especially the etiquette, locating targets, and decent recovery methods.

If people don't realize how self-defeating they are in their zeal to recover a target and leave holes, laugh at the very suggestion of returning some recovered items, etc., then they are so far down on the list...

Well they are actually at the top of another list.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People also have to remember that some people who post on this sitte are retired. They hunt upwards of 8 hours a days.

You are going to pay over $1000 for your machine. You are going to want to use it as much as you can, but your wife won't let you, your boss won't let you, your boss's wife won't let you....

That is until you find that one item that makes them want run out and get their own machine.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like #9. I like to wander out into the middle of nowhere basically and search it out. I ain't got rich and come home empty handed most of the time, but I ain't bothered by other detectorists, and have rediscovered a few archeaological and historic sites that were previously lost to history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread