topo map questions

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I was doing a little research in my area on topo maps. I have 2 questions.

1- In a town nearby there are 6 houses still standing, the topo map shows 58. should I detect around where the houses should be located?

2- The topo map of a different area show a cemetery that I know for a fact is not shere, well at least the stones aren't there. is this normal? should I check out that site?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would search that Whole area, IF you can ge permission.

DiggerX

Feb 18, 2005
I second Jeff's suggestion re: the houses.

As to the cemetery...it is common, but it is hard to say what the deal is. The bodies may still be there, in which case, well, it's definantly a no-no. Even if it says the bodies were moved, this sadly isn't always so. :(

Personally, I do not detect in ANY areas that were known to be cemeteries at ghost towns. There's too much of a chance there still may be some burials there. Just my personal code is all. :P

Doc

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
is there a law stating we can't hunt treasure in cemeteries or is that just because you are superstitious or something?

I was just saying that the cemetery caught my atention because I know the area becaust I live withing 2-3 miles.

mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Laws Yes & No. With Permission NO as long as you only dig Drops & not Dig Graves. YES there are Laws Against Grave Robbery & Tresspassing. .......... jeff

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i believe jeff meant dropped coins.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Mike, what is the date on the topo maps? The houses may have been there during the time the maps were made. See if there is a later dated topo of what the site looks like now. If you got the topo maps from the internet, check another site and see what they show for the same area. also look at aerial photo maps of the area. They may show something different. You may need to check the local library or the county court house for land records. Sometimes on the net you can pull up the local history of a county by putting in,? say> Carter county history ohio, or carter county historical society ohio. But, whatever you do, stay away from grave yards, the laws are stringently enforced in all states. Talk to the people in the area and get the ok from the land owner to search before doing any detecting.? research is the key here. good luck.

ruck

Mar 5, 2005
Mansfield,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Numerous
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duh, I take it there`s not A site Online where I can download or copy Topo`s or old photos from a government agency or otherwise,thats the MILLION DOLLAR question! Ruck. PLEASE HELP!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Old Topo's are hard to come by. When my Grandfather passed away, he left me all his old maps, that was a start.... every time I'm at a garage sale, I look for 'em, as well as old fire maps. Recreational maps of forest areas are quite good, too. they show all the old shelters the forest service used to build and maintain.

Yes, definately check the areas that show on that map, especially look for any depressions when you're out in the field that could indicate an old bottle dump or outhouse. best of luck out there!

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA
PAmike, as Jeffro mentioned, you might consider looking for old Sandborn(TM) maps. If you are not familiar with these maps, they are also called fire insurance maps since that was their original purpose. They are the best resource I have seen for the layout buildings on a property at a historic point in time, but traditionally they only covered the larger towns in any given county. If you can find a library that has these for public use they are an invaluable research tool. You can also have a property researched (there is a fee for the research) to see if any maps (individually purchased for $10) are available for that property (for example, the maps for my local city go back to the 1880's), visit:
http://www.edrnet.com/sanborn.htm

I would recommend you ask any local historical societies or museums before purchasing maps, someone likely has a collection of printed maps for review. Libraries also might have subscribed to the historical maps through an online service offered by proquest.com, in which case the maps they would have access to would cover at least the local state if not other states.

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ruck said:
Duh, I take it there`s not A site Online where I can download or copy Topo`s or old photos from a government agency or otherwise,thats the MILLION DOLLAR question!? ? ?Ruck.? PLEASE HELP!

www.historical.maptech.com

don't know where you are but this site has a lot of states in the northeast, old topo maps, most in my area, wv, were surveyed around 1900

good luck

rockdude

Greenie
Sep 18, 2006
calif.
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
you might check out any antique stores for any old geology maps or Metsker's county maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread