Topsoil cause of only finding stinkin Lincolns at 1879 house in Lowell, MA

bobclouser

Oct 20, 2016
Lunenburg, MA
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was excited to do some detecting at my friend's house in Lowell, MA last weekend. It was build in about 1877. It's on an 1879 map. I found nothing but Lincoln memorial pennies so far, and the soil is very easy to dig -- almost like potting soil. Is it possible that at some point in the recent past a layer of topsoil was put over the old yard, rendering the older coins and stuff deeper? Does this happen often?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was excited to do some detecting at my friend's house in Lowell, MA last weekend. It was build in about 1877. It's on an 1879 map. I found nothing but Lincoln memorial pennies so far, and the soil is very easy to dig -- almost like potting soil. Is it possible that at some point in the recent past a layer of topsoil was put over the old yard, rendering the older coins and stuff deeper? Does this happen often?
To me, it happens more often than not. Especially if a newer septic system or house addition has been placed. The excavated soil spread around the house, and/or topsoil added. I've hunted many 1800's era homes and many are a bust for this reason. Never give up hope.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep trying and look for non-disturbed areas. I am sure the goodies are there, but probably deep since the ground is like "potting soil".

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, particularly at some of the nicer homes where the owners could afford to re-landscape every so many years.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup it happens.... humans like changing stuff around to make it theirs.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does not have to be that topsoil was added.

Just because the site is old doesn't mean it was sealed and pristine. It just means people have been active on the site for a long time. You just have to peel back the layers to get to the older coins.

And sometimes older coins are found above newer ones. People love disturbing the soil; and density, vegetation and frost all have effects on it as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread