Torpedoed

Masao

Aug 13, 2014
Chicago, IL
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello,
My local bank has allowed me to pick of two boxes of halves on Tuesday and two more on Friday for about six months. Yesterday, I was informed by one of the assistant managers that he had to reduce my allotment to two boxes a week. He was very nice and apologetic about this situation and explained me that a couple of Coin Roll Hunters were ordering $10,000 a week each, causing the upper management team question these actions and decided to reduce the amount the bank could order. I thanked him anyway for his time as he is a really nice guy and knows exactly what I was doing. So, my best bank has been changed by a few people going over the top. Most people do not use halves in their daily purchases and I am surprise that anyone with that much cash would make such a mistake. Additionally, as this is a national bank I am sure that the local management team has communicated with their corporate team and this may affect the rest of the branches across the nation and not just in my home state.

Masao

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys have to realize that these banks are doing CRHs a MAJOR favor by ordering boxes of coin for them.
No, we did them a favor by bailing many of them out from financial ruin. CRHing costs them peanuts. The bank profits greatly from account holders but they make poor investments and we foot the bill.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the banks were forced to take the money. Just like most of the auto makers were. Ford balked and they didn't go under.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have to realize that these banks are doing CRHs a MAJOR favor by ordering boxes of coin for them. It costs the banks money to order the boxes, and costs them money to ship those halves back when somebody dumps $10k back on them.

Businesses are always looking for ways to cut costs and save money. They have to do this in order to stay competitive and to stay in business. If a branch is paying thousands a year to order boxes of half dollars for non-commercial customers, sooner than later somebody is going to take notice and cut everyone off.

Several of the banks in my area will not sell a non-commercial customer a box, only a few rolls that the teller has.
Silvercounselor's bank has a flat rate contract with Brinks. His brother may have done something to piss them off.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silvercounselor's bank has a flat rate contract with Brinks. His brother may have done something to piss them off.

Perhaps Brinks complained and that complaint worked its way to upper management in the bank?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, got cut off at a branch I was getting only 1-2 boxes of dimes a week for over a year. The excuses were so cheesy it was like they were reading from a script.

gaston

Greenie
Nov 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Eyes and Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thoughts from all who replied. FYI to all CHRers,TD has removed Halves from their order list. My son and I were up to 40 boxes per week at one point and made the choice to cut back due to the time needed to gather 4 to 8 boxes from multiple branches and then dump at several other branches that offered free counting with high capacity machines that could handle $7000 of halves without a bag or bin change. We had it down to a pretty good team effort with 2 different order banks branches that we used often asking if we would like to order more. We had coin coming from 1 armored service and our free dump bank used a different armored service so we didn't get back what we had searched,(at least in theory). I currently do $2k per week in halves. If that were to get cut off, I would simply deposit 2k per week and give them advance notice that I will be making a withdrawal the following week; and that I would like that in half dollars, then ask them what day they would get their delivery. It shouldn't be a problem since they ask you how you would like to have your withdrawal during transactions anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread