TOT LOT ETIQUETTE

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am not big on hunting tot lots. Maybe I just feel like a dork in a play ground. :dontknow: Nevertheless I have hunted a few. It is no doubt great finds come from the wood chips as many people prove daily. On the rare occasion that I do hit a tot lot, I ALWAYS make sure that I am the only person there, which is no easy feat. And I leave the moment anyone else shows up. How do you guys do it? Do you just swing the coil under little Johnny's feet? Am I the only one who feels like I am intruding by being there? Am I just shy and too self aware? Do most of you tot lot hunters mix it up with the moms and kids? :wav:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yah this Friday at 6 AM I plan on taking a newly addicted friend of mine to a couple prime lots. He got a HF PP and keeps bugging me to go everyday so... We shall see how into he really is!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
When all the cool kids come runnin' up to me asking all those questions, I take control and say "hey, see that guy over there? He finds all the money and gives it away to all the kids!" Well, those kids run like hell over to my huntin' bud and he gives me the dirty look.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
When all the cool kids come runnin' up to me asking all those questions, I take control and say "hey, see that guy over there? He finds all the money and gives it away to all the kids!" Well, those kids run like hell over to my huntin' bud and he gives me the dirty look.

:laughing9: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: no im not the hunting buddie but it is pricless!!! Chug

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
C & R, we are about 2200 miles apart. But this tactic works the world over. I'm finding it difficult to get anyone to hunt with me within let's say about a mile radius from a playground area.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW said:
Last time I got up early to hit one, there were a dozen high school girls there at 6AM doing yoga.

Drat. I can remember when jogging made my poaching game a tougher prospect. Up to then, NOBODY got up early and did anything............

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I will hunt the tot lots if they are empty or if only small number of people are there. If there is a crowd or a lot of kids I will put it off for another time.

Tot lots around here get worked over on a regular basis so I try to get there as early as possible and move on to other locations.

Ray S ECenFL

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only if no one is there and i leave if anybody shows up.. i think your philosophy is a good one.. remember its main purpose is for children and parents.. i find early morning is best.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm going when kids are going to be there then I take my own kids with me and let them play while I detect. I make sure that any parents there see me interact with my own kids so they know I'm not some freak. I don't like to be detecting in a tot lot if other kids are there and mine aren't.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyledriver said:
Headlamp and hunt at night...

Same here. Usually after 7 pm. Funny though, end up digging up half full beer cans a lot of times. Figure the teeny boppers buried their beers when the cops showed up. Late evening or nights are nice, you don't have to worry about tripping over the herd of kids gathered in front of you wherever you turn. Or little johnny doing a kamakazi jump off the swings right on your coil. (Yep, happened to one of my hunting partners)

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
. Or little johnny doing a kamakazi jump off the swings right on your coil. (Yep, happened to one of my hunting partners)

I think that's where the whole idea of tot lot etiquette comes into play. I don't detect near the swings if kids are on them. Your hunting partner probably should have found another place to detect in the tot lot that was further away from the children. Then his detector wouldn't have been in danger.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was at the far end of one of those play structures, the kid climbed up from the far end ran across & jumped. I was hunting in the grass a ways away & saw it happen. From my side of the coin, I wanted to roll on the ground laughing, but from his side it was enough to make you cry. If I had video of it, it'd be hillarious.

But it was a lesson learned. :D :D :D

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
I usualy go to parks later in the day and when it gets dark and everyone leaves, i go to the tot lots (they are next to tennis courts so its lit up and im with my dad, so its safe). also being 14, i get away with more :laughing9: ;D

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Learned this one from geocaching....

carry a clipboard with you and wear an orange vest and hardhat. Most people won't give you a second look. They'll most likely think you're some type of surveyor, contractor, or company employee trying to locate markers or such.

Just suggesting... it works with geocaching quite well.

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowbatts said:
Totlots are part of my sunrise tour. Kids who drop, even throw mems down without regard for them will sometimes go nuts when you're there. Many will not ask but if they think you've got a target they'll start tearing into the dirt under your coil.

And liars?!? Biggest lairs on earth are the little ones around you sometimes. Had them tell me their aunt, cousin, mom and pet dog lost whatever I found. Without ever laying eyes on it.

Other times it's all good and only one or two kids will approach and seem genuinely interested.

Overall, get out when kids step in is my advice. Just move on to another totlot. There's so many of them out there these days you hop from playground to playground fairly quickly.

One thing I don't understand is the design of modern playground equipment. There's gotta be something wrong with them people. Those Picasso-esque designs are beyond my ability to figure out.

BAWAHAHAHAH! Awww man, I just about shot a nice stream of water outta' my nose with the liar comment! Damn that was funny... Hee, hee...

Yeah, the little ones sure have a GREAT imagination and are pretty creative when it comes to 'buried treasure'! Heh, heh...

To the OP.... I've ONLY done TOT lots when they're empty and mostly just before dark or first thing in the AM in order to make sure that I wasn't being bothered and some 'Mom' or 'Babysitter' wasn't worried about little 'Johnny or Suzie' going to play because of the weirdo digging holes under the slide.. :P

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have a black tee shirt with big white letters on the back that say "BOMB SQUAD" for some reason no one comes near me in the parks.

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Lowbatts said:
And liars?!? Biggest lairs on earth are the little ones around you sometimes. Had them tell me their aunt, cousin, mom and pet dog lost whatever I found. Without ever laying eyes on it.

:laughing7: :laughing7: That's why you keep an old pull tab in your pocket!!

clearblk

Greenie
Mar 21, 2011
I'm new to this but I would say to just go early or in bad weather and leave when the kids show up. I'll be hitting some Tot Lots in a couple of weeks and will post results if I can find the cord for my camera. Found an old train station that is no longer there to detect before the playgrounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread