Tot lot jack pots???

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I'm starting to wonder what is wrong with the tot lots I hunt. I read so many stories here and on other forums of people finding large numbers of coins in their tot lot hunts. If I come home with 30 from a 2 hour hunt I think I have hit the jack pot. And of course 15 of my coins will be pennies!!! Also, I rarely even find kids jewelry, but I could show you a nice collection of pencils! What is the trick to this??? I dig everything, hunt in jewelry mode, and keep the descrim. about about 3 bars on my ACE 250.

Upvote 0
S

skydiv

I don't have no luck in tot lots either. I hunt about 10-12 lots, I might find 1-2 coins in each. no jewlery. don't find anything under swings, maybe a penny or nickel under the horrizontal latter.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I'm not a tot loter myself for the same reason. There doesnt seem to be that much in any of them around here. I do find quite alot around the out side edges of the play areas. That seems to be where the mothers stand and watch their kids play. I don't think people hit those areas as much.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
try the tot lots near the $$ neighborhoods. i've been doing pretty well in upper middle class lots.

Ice Fishin Nut

Jul 28, 2007
Algonac, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
cntrydncr1 said:
I'm starting to wonder what is wrong with the tot lots I hunt. I read so many stories here and on other forums of people finding large numbers of coins in their tot lot hunts. If I come home with 30 from a 2 hour hunt I think I have hit the jack pot. And of course 15 of my coins will be pennies!!! Also, I rarely even find kids jewelry, but I could show you a nice collection of pencils! What is the trick to this??? I dig everything, hunt in jewelry mode, and keep the descrim. about about 3 bars on my ACE 250.

I have been doing well with my 250 in all metal mode, just descrim the iron, and hunt with 5 bars unless I'm getting close to the play equipment then I lower it down to 1 bar. Dig everthing and expect alot of pencil eraser tops in the elementary schools. No gold yet, nor silver for that matter, but have found a ton of levi buttons and trinket jewlery and such.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets face it not all Tot Lots or parks are created equal. It depends on location and usage. An area near wealthier neighborhods is better. If you add more people ( larger population) you have a winning recipe. Also school or local policy effects the events and amount of people seen. I would keep looking until you find a good one.

HH

Ed D.

OP
OP
cntrydncr1

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
since I posted the original question, I found a tot lot at an older school. I have been there 3 times and have pulled out over 300 coins, a silver ring, and other various pieces of kids jewelry. I'm waiting now for school to start and the new chips to get some fresh droppings. HH

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Sometimes you have to think rationally,as far as schools go I look for

Schools that have been around a long time

High Schools may produce more finds of value(jewelry,coins,etc.) to where a school for younger children may only score you loose lunch money(pennies,nickles)and some toys maybe of little to no value.

Parks that are much older than newer ones could have silver coins to where newer ones will have mostly face value clad coins.

I also look at the paper and sometimes on the news they will tell you about the goings on in your community,and if I hear or read of a reunion,concert,church function etc. in a reasonably accessable public area I'll will go there a day after the event has taken place.

I don't get myself all bent out of shape detecting,yesterday I searched a park 2 1/2hrs. and left with 2 dimes,8 pennies yep...28 cents was all(face value clad nothing old).

Would I like to find 200 coins half of them pre 1965's,a handful of jewelery in one day......Of course I do as would anyone else,but as long as I'm finding enough clad to buy batteries that keep me going..Hey tomorrows another day,and it may just be my big score day.

~Shawn~

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
don't believe everything you read...and only some of what you see! ;)

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX-Gregg said:

Well you can check my post from yesterday labeled DFX finds Gold Again. yesterday was a gold ring with a couple of small diamonds and 110 clad totaling $6.99. this came from a total of 5 city parks in the playground areas and about 3.5 hours of hunting

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
waseeker said:
DFX-Gregg said:

Well you can check my post from yesterday labeled DFX finds Gold Again. yesterday was a gold ring with a couple of small diamonds and 110 clad totaling $6.99. this came from a total of 5 city parks in the playground areas and about 3.5 hours of hunting

So...that is ok...point? ??? 110 coins in 3.5 hours is very believable I have at least 25 100 coin days in same period of time...about what I shoot for at least once a week in that time... I am talking about posts that go over board...or where people have sold finds to others who post them as their own...100 coin days are ok...but not what I am talking about! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread