Total Newbie Here - that would really appreciate any help at all!

CindyAnn

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:
I am totally new to your great board! There is so much great information here. I have totally enjoyed reading and am learning so much here!!
I am hoping that someone can help me with my Yard Sale Find I had today.
I got a set of 10 of these plates. They are really beautiful! I have figured out that they are Vaseline Glass. But I haven't been able to find any in my scouring of the internet any with the gold trim and the hand painted enamel flowers. I got these at an Estate Sale. The lady told me that she is a Antique dealer and that she or her contacts could not find any information on these plates either. She also didn't know that they were Vaseline Glass.
I think they are really cool. She she they were her great grandmothers, and I am guessing her age to be about 40ish?
Anyways - that is all I know about these plates. They measure at 8".
Any information or leads in the right direction to research them would be very very much appreciated.
Thank You all so much!!
Cindy
Hope these pictures so up and sorry for the fingerprints on them!
IMG_9079.JPG photo.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome cindy, I know nothing about glass unless it is one filled with beer. but glad to have you aboard

OP
OP
C

CindyAnn

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff - that is pretty much all I really know about glass too hahaha :occasion14:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I can't help IDing them either, but do whet my wife did. I got a great set of heavy silver plated flatware from the 50's. Full set for 8. My wife liked them so much I don't have them any more. They are now used with her fine china.

They didn't go to the recycler as scrap, no problem they were free.

Welcome to our board and happy hunting.

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
She she they were her great grandmothers, and I am guessing her age to be about 40ish?

I know almost nothing about glass either, but I do know that information like that should always be taken with a grain of salt. Very, very pretty plates, though!

OP
OP
C

CindyAnn

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks cyberdan! I would be scared to use them but they would surely look very pretty in my cabinet!
Thank You for welcoming me!!

OP
OP
C

CindyAnn

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks clorox.. She seemed believable, but you are probably right. I know nothing about this stuff.
I think they are very pretty too. So if they turn up to be nothing special I am still happy with them!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cindy, welcome to the forum. Nice plates. Although they glow, they are not true "vaseline" glass as it is defined by the purists. Vaseline glass is more of a yellow color. They are what is called green depression glass and since it appears they glow under uv lighting, they have uranium in them, so they could also be called uranium glass. I'm guessing that they are a light colored green versus the dark color they appear in the photos? I can't say for sure who made them, i'm still looking.

Last edited:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I, also, am far from a glass expert, I tend to agree with diggummup. They do have a Czech look to them. Now for what I can say about them for sure. They are relatively modern (the last fifty years) molded glass that has been hand enameled (if you look at the details of the flowers, they are each not exact copies of the others). Very nice finds though. I find that there are two types of garage sale finds, for me at least. There are those finds that are worth the trouble of reselling and will bring in a fair amount of cash. However, my favorites are collectables that have a certain value to me and, for one reason or another, I can't live without (I'll be posting some finds tomorrow and you'll see what I mean). Your plates appear to fall into the latter category. I'm sure they will give you years of pleasure.

OP
OP
C

CindyAnn

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW thanks for all the great information! I really appreciate the knowledge very much. I think they are beautiful plates and am very happy that I found them and its great to know more about them! I really appreciate all the time taken to help me out!! You guys are great :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

CindyAnn

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I'm guessing that they are a light colored green versus the dark color they appear in the photos?"

Yes diggummup, they are a light colored green..

Thank You Very Much for all the great information!! Sincerely appreciate you taking the time you did to help me know what these plates are!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions