Totally new and have a few questions

solielj

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone! I just got into this a couple days ago and had a few questions. I got $450 worth of halves the other day. Went through it and there's no silver. I started reading up more and realized I should be looking for other stuff as well. I reused the rolls and put them all back but after reading the forums remembered I had seen some 2002's and up and also saw a few that looked pretty nice like they might be uncirculated. Should I go back though them and take those out and look again for double dies now that I know what to look for?
Also, I need help dumping the rest. I don't have a bank account and not even sure if I can get one since I had an account close due to not paying an overdraft last year. I've read that it's kind of difficult to dump if you don't have an account. Should I try to dump them at a large bank like Wells Fargo, Chase, Suntrust, or BOA or should I go to a smaller bank?
One last question for now. I'm trying to figure out where I want to order from and where to dump. Can anyone tell me what armored car services those 4 big banks use or is it going to different from branch to branch?
Thanks everyone! The posts I've been reading have been really helpful and entertaining as well!

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can possibly dump without an account, but it will likely cost you. The banks in my area that have coin counters charge 10% to non-account holders.

As far as the NIFC and "uncirculated" halves go, collect what you like. Its doubtful that you can profit off them though.

There is no way anyone can tell you which armored car services the banks in your area uses. It varies widely from one area to another.

OP
OP
S

solielj

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How do people know which service their bank is using? Not sure if it would be a good idea to ask one of the tellers and I definitely don't want to sit outside the bank and wait for one to pull up and possibly look like I'm casing the joint. lol

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
solielj said:
How do people know which service their bank is using? Not sure if it would be a good idea to ask one of the tellers and I definitely don't want to sit outside the bank and wait for one to pull up and possibly look like I'm casing the joint. lol

You can just ask them, I do and the worst they can say is...I don't know
I would recommend opening an account soon as you won't get very far without one.

erinrocks

Greenie
Sep 27, 2012
Thank you for your questions Gunner. The q&a was helpful, I'm just learning as well.
Good luck,
Erin

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
You can just ask them, I do and the worst they can say is...I don't know
I would recommend opening an account soon as you won't get very far without one.

I have been using one bank as a dump/pick up bank for nearly a year now without an account. Not exactly sure if they think I have one or not lol. I drop off $1000 in halves a week and take all their dimes, nickels and sometimes pennies when they have them to spare. I think I save them money since they never have to ship their dimes and nickels off. My only fear is that they use Brinks, two out of 3 of my dump banks do and I fear they share amongst my supply bank, which I use three of their branches to order my 6/7 boxes a week. I am going to be marking some more coins and seeing if I find any.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sometimes the name of the company will be printed on the coin wrappers/boxes. Asking the bank might give you an answer, but I would think that question would be highly suspicious. I know most banks won't answer WHEN they get coin/cash deliveries for obvious security reasons, but I'm not sure if they would tell you what company they use. Other than that, you'll just have to hope to catch the armored car "in the act" so to speak.

Last edited:

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I've found I can usually get banks to sell me coins without an account 95% of the time. I even have a bank that orders me two boxes of halves every week with no account. Dumping without an account is a bit trickier....

Part of the trick is to always be nice and very friendly with the tellers. The are just people, and will often bend the rules or do favors if they like you. I usually start out slow with them. I don't just walk in and demand to order boxes. In fact most of the time they will say "we can order you boxes of coin if you want" after a few visits. Also, take time to learn who the grumpy ones are. They will probably never warm up, so try not to deal with them...

In my 10+ yts CRH, this strategy has paid off most of the time. I have even had tellers save silver for me!

The secret is to truly make friends with them. Most people will do anything for someone who is their friend.

Welcome, happy hunting, and happy Thanksgiving!

OP
OP
S

solielj

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow I didn't even think to try trading them in for different coins. I wanted to try some dimes and pennies anyways. Maybe I can get a hundred dollar bill and the rest in dimes and pennies. Thanks guys!

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I didn't even think to try trading them in for different coins. I wanted to try some dimes and pennies anyways. Maybe I can get a hundred dollar bill and the rest in dimes and pennies. Thanks guys!

Please don't do that. You'll get shut down and make it harder on the rest of us. Just think: A guy comes in, asks for a bunch of coins, brings them all back, and asks for different coins. Have a bank to pick coins from, and a bank to dump coins at. Don't use the same bank. They'll hate you for making a lot of extra work.

Please, I highly recommend everyone that is new to this hobby and board to read ALL of the beginners guide thread at the top of the furom. If you can not find it, here is the link http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-beginners-guide-coin-roll-hunting-terms.html
Most, if not all, of your questions can be answered in that forum. Then, if they are not, feel free to ask.
Good luck.

Please, please, PLEASE read the How To guide, it will answer most of the questions you will have!

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, it is technically illegal to mark circulated coins in any way. Not sure who is going to enforce this or what the consequence is but be careful.

Might want to check out the laws on this before you try, especially if you are already on bad terms with the bank. They may report you.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, it is technically illegal to mark circulated coins in any way. Not sure who is going to enforce this or what the consequence is but be careful.

Might want to check out the laws on this before you try, especially if you are already on bad terms with the bank. They may report you.
Are you certain of this? I'm not to sure. Can you cite your source?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found I can usually get banks to sell me coins without an account 95% of the time. I even have a bank that orders me two boxes of halves every week with no account. Dumping without an account is a bit trickier....

Part of the trick is to always be nice and very friendly with the tellers. The are just people, and will often bend the rules or do favors if they like you. I usually start out slow with them. I don't just walk in and demand to order boxes. In fact most of the time they will say "we can order you boxes of coin if you want" after a few visits. Also, take time to learn who the grumpy ones are. They will probably never warm up, so try not to deal with them...

In my 10+ yts CRH, this strategy has paid off most of the time. I have even had tellers save silver for me!

The secret is to truly make friends with them. Most people will do anything for someone who is their friend.

Welcome, happy hunting, and happy Thanksgiving!

Also bring them treats, I bring in about a $20 cake every time I get $20 from the internal tray, which is about once every 2-3 months.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on area, perhaps giving out your state and the bank you use might close on in which bank is provided by certain carriers. Bank of america in Florida might use Loomis, A Bank of america in nebraska might use dunbar, or a bank of america in Indiana might use brinks, hope this helps slightly.

OP
OP
S

solielj

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
ok so update: I found a bank that has a coin counting machine in the lobby and applied for an account and actually got one with no problem and the best part is it's the closest bank to my house and I can get there in less then 3 minutes! I also got an account at Chase and there's so many branches close to my house I could probably dump a few thousand a week in halves between different branches without pissing them off. I found out they use Loomis so I know where I'm dumping now. Got a box coming in on Monday and I'm going to ask if they would mind ordering 2 boxes next time.

OP
OP
S

solielj

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
oh yeah btw the boxes are coming from other banks so don't worry I'm not dumping where I pick up.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
??? SO WHY not use the same "teller treat fund" to buy the coins you really want?

"to buy the coins you really want?"

I'm a foreign coin collector as well, so I am happy with many of the reject tray finds. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions