Tow Behind Lawn Spreader For Ant Poison

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have five acres that I mow and normally I just treat fire ants by hand, but this year I can't keep up. We've been getting hammered with rain so their mounts are all on the surface of the ground and it has made them super aggressive. Our poor little dog got bit about 100 times when he made the mistake of laying in the grass too long.

So my idea was to get one of those tow behind lawn seed spreaders and instead of putting seed in it (which would be secondary bonus to buying one) that I would just dump a bunch of granular ant bait into it, set it on its lowest setting and start treating the whole yard.

Does anyone know if the tow behind spreader would work for this? Here's what I'm thinking about ordering:

https://www.amazon.com/Agri-Fab-45-..._UL320_SR320,320_&refRID=7JMZQ6JPQDK7E9TRQ4H7

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When in Arkansas, I bought a pull-type broadcast spreader for the same purpose. There were multiple types of ants getting into the house. Fir fire ants, make certain you can reach around to stop the flow unless on top of an ant bed. Cover the bed generously as well as about 5' diameter circle (2.5' radius) around the bed. Again, GENEROUSLY apply fire ant killer. After application, go around and lightly water the ant killer in. This way, while the ants are out and active from the disturbance, they're tracking through the wet ant killer, then when they go to groom themselves, .....well, you know.

It may not take care of them 100% using this method, but otherwise you'll spend a small fortune in ant killer! Knock the masses down, then re-apply in 3-4 weeks any new activity.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've used the small hand held Scott broadcasters for this with good results so I don't see why it wouldn't. That's a great idea. I have 5 acres as well and we are having a terrible ant year too.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What's always blown my mind is seeing what looks like a fur-ball floating down a ditch after a hard rain and a wet season, only to discover that the fire ants have made a raft out of THEMSELVES!! And of course, you know "The Royalty" is in the middle of it all.

Yes, any broadcast spreader will work. For 5 acres, I'd use a pull-behind. ...Especially since you'll probably need it again next year.

I had read somewhere a while back about some guy who believed he had finally found the Sure Cure for fire ants. Last I read, they were still doing some long-term testing - I guess to make certain the ants were "dying" and not just moving elsewhere.

Something else that would work would be to use a hot water pressure washer to blast hot water/steam down into the mound(s). It might tear up the lawn a little, but scalding the little suckers to death....it'd be worth it! ...And then maybe follow up with some fire ant granules down into the hole - just for good measure! :evil6:

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all very useful info kcm! Thanks for sharing all your tips and tricks. I ordered that pull behind spreader from Amazon and I look forward to getting it on Friday. I will report back with my thoughts after trying it out.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I will report back with my thoughts after trying it out.
Great! ALWAYS a critic! ROFL - Copy.gif

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha right!

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4Nines, and others, this may not help you since it's not a solution for yards, but rather for large fields. However it could be useful for others.

WW-B Dahl is a tall grass that has insect deterrent properties. Excellent for livestock, high protein, drought resistant, and can be baled. Most fields depending on the soil type are fire ant free. It also takes care of ticks, chiggers, and internal parasites. May also take care of mosquito's, but I haven't verified that. Cattle do have less flies bothering them, so it may be good for reducing mosquito populations.

Homar

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Homar - have never heard of that grass before. ....Not that "I'll" have to worry about it again! :laughing7:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I use Baking Powder, does not take very much at all. Used it for my entire time in the Army when they sent us to those odd places where even the ants did not like us. My family had been using it on our cattle ranches forever as well.

Works right away and they do not come back that year.

I also use it to protect my garden, lavender and Magnolia blossoms.

Still carry a package in my GODS bag that goes every where with me.

Five acres is not much at all, so it will be very cheap. On the cattle ranches we would have little 300-500 acre orchards of pecans and peaches in the areas that where not worthless cattle grazing lands. Those orchards every year would get infested with them, and it only took about 30 cans per orchard to clear that issue. Your place sounds like a one can place, and cheaper than a spreader.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Never heard of using baking powder before. Very interesting! Gonna have to do some research on that.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Baking Powder, does not take very much at all. Used it for my entire time in the Army when they sent us to those odd places where even the ants did not like us. My family had been using it on our cattle ranches forever as well.

Five acres is not much at all, so it will be very cheap. On the cattle ranches we would have little 300-500 acre orchards of pecans and peaches in the areas that where not worthless cattle grazing lands. Those orchards every year would get infested with them, and it only took about 30 cans per orchard to clear that issue. Your place sounds like a one can place, and cheaper than a spreader.

Howdy Oddjob,

Just as kcm, I haven't heard of baking powder used for fire ants either. Are you sure it's not baking soda, cause I have heard of baking soda mixed with powdered sugar just to encourage the ants to eat it. If you had those kind of results I may try it on my yard. I had been thinking of spreading diatomaceous earth since it's also pretty cheap by the fifty pound sack full. It should take care of all kinds of bugs, and should last forever on the ground.

I used to look after some gas wells around Eagle Pass, so may have been to one of your ranches, never know. :dontknow:

Homar

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"I used to look after some gas wells around Eagle Pass, so may have been to one of your ranches, never know."
If it was a snow-covered field in the middle of a Texas summer (baking powder), it was probably Oddjob's field.

ROFL - Copy.gif

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting... If this works it would not only be cheaper but less caustic / poisonous to the enviro as well as the doggy.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy Oddjob,

Just as kcm, I haven't heard of baking powder used for fire ants either. Are you sure it's not baking soda, cause I have heard of baking soda mixed with powdered sugar just to encourage the ants to eat it. If you had those kind of results I may try it on my yard. I had been thinking of spreading diatomaceous earth since it's also pretty cheap by the fifty pound sack full. It should take care of all kinds of bugs, and should last forever on the ground.

I used to look after some gas wells around Eagle Pass, so may have been to one of your ranches, never know. :dontknow:

Homar

No not baking soda; just Baking Powder.

You ever heard of Kunafin; those are part of the family ranches down in that area. Eagle Pass is mainly production for hay and the insectry. Can not waste that flat land that grows things with cattle. Cattle ranches are further north towards Junction in that worthless hill country. Oil well is on a small plot in Three Rivers.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What's weird is, I'm not finding anything from a web search about using Baking Powder for fire ants. Baking Soda, yes...but with other ingredients. All I've found so far is a 35 second, very shaky video clip that claims to show that ants will never cross a line of Baking Powder. But even that is "a line". How do you get a line when it's broadcast over a wide area?

C'mon cousin Oddjob - time to learn us a thing or two. :laughing7:

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4Nines, and others, this may not help you since it's not a solution for yards, but rather for large fields. However it could be useful for others.

WW-B Dahl is a tall grass that has insect deterrent properties. Excellent for livestock, high protein, drought resistant, and can be baled. Most fields depending on the soil type are fire ant free. It also takes care of ticks, chiggers, and internal parasites. May also take care of mosquito's, but I haven't verified that. Cattle do have less flies bothering them, so it may be good for reducing mosquito populations.

Homar

Good to know! Can this type of grass be mowed or does it only thrive if you leave it long?

Interesting. How do you spread it over a large area?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to know! Can this type of grass be mowed or does it only thrive if you leave it long?

I just throw it on the bed and any trail I can find.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not baking soda; just Baking Powder.

You ever heard of Kunafin; those are part of the family ranches down in that area. Eagle Pass is mainly production for hay and the insectry. Can not waste that flat land that grows things with cattle. Cattle ranches are further north towards Junction in that worthless hill country. Oil well is on a small plot in Three Rivers.

Howdy Oddjobb,

Well I'm going to give baking powder a try, thanks for the heads up. I had heard about the Kunafin Insectry, I had never seen so many flies as I did one time at the Burr ranch between Eagle Pass, and Quemado. It was miles away from the feedlot, that's when the conversation on solutions started, and I learned about the beneficial bugs. The Burr ranch however was having sterile flies air dropped to impact the breeding part. I don't know if they came from the Kunafin Insectry. I have heard of a small fly that has been used to control fire ants, it lays it's eggs in the head of ants which later kills them, does Kunafin Insectry handle these small flies?

The only orchards, and hay farms in that area are irrigated by the canal that comes out above Quemado, and empties back in the river at Eagle Pass. Then there is another canal that empties back at El Indio.

Homar

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Howdy 4Nines,

That's a good question, just ask those who sell it. I really don't know if you would kill it if you keep mowing it, not letting it produce seeds.

Homar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread