toy cannon

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi everyone
My first post for a very long time, a toy cannon, 19th c I think.
I got the dime from a self serve supermarket checkout.
Dave.
P1010958.JPG

Upvote 7

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back, your lucky to have land this time of year!

Hard to date some of these & it could be very late 18th C as well. Which ever date, it's a good find in my books & often a favourite with the general public.(when I do displays)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.

OP
OP
davesx

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Thanks, I don't get out as much as I would like, I only have one farm, I asked for permission at another
farm and got refused because I might disturb the partridges.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
super find. I have always wanted to find one but have not been lucky enough. I ended up buying one from a friend who found one at an early plantation site in the South. Ironically the archies had somehow thrown in out of their shovel into a dirt pile. my friend detected the dirt pile and scored several relics before the dozers took it away. I paid a decent amount for it at it is really cool and comes from a historic place. I think yours is early 19th century. Congrats!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good find, still need one here!

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find! It's obvious the Lilliputians in Gulliver's Travels are real!

Take your time on any land you can access, you have a shot at some ancient metal finds there that make us Septics jealous! Sorry about the dime, talk about getting short changed!

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find. If I'm correct, I'm pretty sure that toys like these actually could fire small projectiles and injured, even killed children. Anyone else know if this is accurate?

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they can fire and that is what they were made for. but I have not heard of a documented instance where it killed someone. though this is not my area of expertise so I suppose anything is possible.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, they weren't necessarily considered toys in their day, at least not in the sense that we call toys now and were very functional. some used as training devices, and some as already suggested, shot very small projectiles and were still dangerous. back in the day, a lot of things that we would not dream of letting our kids doing was almost common place then. Even when I was a kid, back in the sixties, we had access to black powder, carbide for lanterns, everyone had a 22 and a shotgun besides the normal BB and Pellet guns. We (myself and others my age) blew up tons of stuff, especially when burning the trash. so it all depends on how old the little cannon really is. besides all of that , it is just cool...period!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little cannon is almost exactly like the one I found last year in a site that was late 1700 to early 1800. You got a beauty for sure, we don't find many of them on this side of the pond.
Congrats,
ZDD

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I don't get out as much as I would like, I only have one farm, I asked for permission at another
farm and got refused because I might disturb the partridges.

We make it clear to all our farmers, that if they have any constraints, we will met them, whatever they are. Shooting is big money & we always avoid the areas they want during the season. If the shooters are just pest control, we just keep a fair distance. So it shouldn't stop you detecting, if you put their minds at ease. With all the land we do, we have yet to upset 1 shooter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions